TV Shows & iTunes Importing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swwack91, Jul 26, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I have every episode of a TV show on my laptop in iPod resolution. Now, amount of storage that takes up is a bit too big to just leave it on my laptop. However, the reason I ripped all the episodes is to get them on my video iPod.

When I import them, it copies them into the iTunes folder (also on my laptop) - which only takes up more room.

What I'm wondering is can I keep the files on an external HDD and only drag them onto my iPod without ever having them import into the iTunes library? So in essence the files would be on my external HDD and iPod only - with none on my laptop...

Thanks in advance.

2. jive macrumors 6502a

You can set the default folder for iTunes to be on the external hd. This means that your iTunes won't have any media when your external isn't plugged in.

That's how mine is set up and it works brilliantly.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i need my music to stay on the laptop - the only thing i want on the external is the TV shows & movies. is there a way to divide it?

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just had an idea but I'm not sure about how to implement it -

I know you can share libraries in iTunes so is it possible to create a second iTunes library on my external HDD that contains only the movies and TV shows?

Then in iTunes i can have all my music on my laptop and whenever the HDD is plugged in I can access the shared library on it and sync my iPod with the video.

Will this work? Is there a way to do it? Ideas?