Tv Shows on External HD, Music on Internal HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DJMastaWes, Jan 12, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hey guys!

So, my MacBook Pros hard drive is running out of space, and I need to clear some of it up. I have about 40GBs+ of TV shows and around 5GBs of Movies in iTunes that I don't need to always have on the go with me, my music however, I would like to keep on my Internal Hard drive.

My question is: Is there a way to have my music be on my Internal Hard drive, and have my tv shows and movies run on my external Hard drive?

I think there's a way to do it with disabling "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library", but will this affect anything when I get new music? For example, if I disable that and I import an album, will that album not be put into my music folder?

Anyway, any options and suggestions would be great!

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I do this exact thing. And you are exactly right, check the "copy to music library" when you add music, and uncheck it when you add a TV show or movie.

3. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

But, say I disable the copy to music folder and i add all the TV shows from my hard drive. If I then enable the add to music folder, and add music, won't the TV shows then be copied to the music folder, because I enabled the feature again?

4. georgeoommen macrumors regular

the tv shows would stay where they are. they would get copied over to your internal hdd only if u hit consolidate. so you will just have to make sure that every time u want to add music, u use the copy files to itunes folder checked and have it unchecked at all other times. thats my understanding of how it works..

5. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

Yep that is exactly what I do and I haven't had any problems yet.

I did try creating a symlink to the TV Shows directory on my external drive in the iTunes folder, but iTunes ignores it and then instead creates the TV shows in the music folder. So I switched to doing it the way mentioned above.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

you can set it up the way you use it most often and hold option/alt key when dragging in something to reverse the import setting (ie, if its set to copy, when you hold alt it will not)