TV Shows tab? TV Shows anywhere?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by HunterGather, Oct 27, 2011.

1. HunterGather, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

HunterGather macrumors member

Oct 18, 2008
    I'm not sure if this is an ios5 thing, or if it was in ios4, but my videos identified as a TV Show (in the GET INFO options) don't show up on my ipad 2 or iphone 4. There's no tab in the Videos app to display them!

In iTunes they are there, though.
    The only way I can play them is changing them from TV SHOW to MOVIE.

When I do a spotlight search on the iphone or ipad, said tv show(s) come up, but once I play them, the VIDEOS app crashes.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Just in case, I did a restore of my ipad to see if that would help, but nothing.

Oh, and changing it to podcast or iTunes U does the same thing for that matter. The only thing I can play and see is if its classified as a MOVIE or MUSIC VIDEO (which shows up in the Music app).
  2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
    I'm not sure why you're having issues. I just download a random free show and it shows up just fine.

Attached Files:

3. HunterGather thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2008
    I just tried that test out too, with a podcast.

When I downloaded the podcast from itunes, it showed up fine on my VIDEOS app under a PODCAST tab.
    When i drug a file identified as a PODCAST (just to test, i changed a movie to that type) and dragged it to the ipad in iTunes.

It doesn't show up in the VIDEO app. Under the summary tab in itunes, it says there are 2 videos on the ipad in total, but the only one it shows me is the iTunes downloaded podcast...

This has never been a problem before hand.
  4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
    That's pretty weird. What happens if you don't change the types?
  5. HunterGather thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2008
    If the non-itunes downloaded videos stay as a MOVIE type, they show up and play fine in the VIDEOS app.
  6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

Jun 30, 2010
    Ahh, non-iTunes videos. This is why you're probably having weird issues. So they play if you change the info on them, otherwise they don't show up? This totally boggles me. Sorry, I can't help you very much.
  7. HunterGather thread starter macrumors member

Oct 18, 2008
    It's never been a problem before...

Also, I may have found a work around, however, here's another thing I found that get get tedious and annoying.

If I change a videos info in the GET INFO box, it stays with the tag info forever.
    EXCEPT the video classification.

Ie: I open the tv show in itunes, change the class to TV SHOW. Delete show from itunes list, then bring it back. Its then classified as a MOVIE again.

Thanks for trying though!
  8. musicaddictz macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2011
    Hey I have the same problem too. I want to convert some videos which of course are not available on iTunes store. OK, it's anime. There I said it.
    It used to work well with older iOS, I'm not sure why when I changed the tag info to TV Shows, the videos do not even show up on my iPad (not even the TV shows tab).
    So I tried downloading a random TV show from iTunes store and then the tab showed up yet the video was still not there. Anyone knows how to deal with this? :(
    Everything works fine with Music Videos/Movies, though.
  9. Flowergrower macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2012
    Tvshows not showing in video apps

Hi, I Have exactly same problem is there any solution yet, thanks in advance.