TV signal to my Imac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KiwiLee, Dec 12, 2008.

1. KiwiLee macrumors member

I have my new Imac, and in my lounge i have a cable TV set-top box.
    How (if) can i take the signal from my set-top box and use my Imac as a 24" TV in my bedroom? I looked at USB TV tuner devices, but they seem geared towards a normal analogue antenna, is there a easier and or cheaper way to simple take the set-top box output and watch it full screen on my Imac? The cabling isn't a problem as i am an electrician, its working out the best device or interfaces i could use?

FYI My set-top box has the following outputs (assume there outputs)on it..
    -A yellow Video RCA (composite?)
    -Normal stereo audio RCAs
    -S-VHS (the round multi-pin plug)

Thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, the yellow is called composite
    the round one is S-video, not s-vhs

i've looked around online, not many options for what you want to do.
    You can make a full blown DVR (like a tivo) in a computer, that can then record off the svideo or composite outputs, but you'll also have to get an infrared transmitter to change the channel, not really cheaper or easier.

I use this (program called mythtv that runs on linux), and the cards have a tuner, in addition to composite and S-video inputs, but these are all PCI cards and wont work in an iMac.

you should be able to find a s-video caputure card. but being able to watch it "real time" full screen might be more problematic, as most of the software is designed to record to your drive. plus you then are stuck going to the other room to change the channel.