Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I take it EyeTV can handle basic things like scheduling (to shcedule 'active' or 'start record' or 'close tv'), so that you can set the TV App to launch at a certain time?

This, at the moment, is vital to me as I go to bed with my speakers turned up, and have my TV app to 'activate' on Sky Sports News at the time I want to wake up. I also place the remote out of reach from bed. Thus, in the morning I am woken up by SSN blurting out through the speakers until I get out of bed and obtain the remote. :cool:
No smart arse to suggest using an alarm clock please, I find I snooze them too easily or just as likely turn them off during my sleep.. ha ha...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I take it EyeTV can handle basic things like scheduling (to shcedule 'active' or 'start record' or 'close tv'), so that you can set the TV App to launch at a certain time?

This, at the moment, is vital to me as I go to bed with my speakers turned up, and have my TV app to 'activate' on Sky Sports News at the time I want to wake up. I also place the remote out of reach from bed. Thus, in the morning I am woken up by SSN blurting out through the speakers until I get out of bed and obtain the remote. :cool:
No smart arse to suggest using an alarm clock please, I find I snooze them too easily or just as likely turn them off during my sleep.. ha ha...

You can set the time to record but not turn on/off. Though you could easily use an Applescript for that. The Elgato web forums have a lot of people (moderators) to help with scripting.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I LOVE Eye TV. Can't see anything beating it.

I agree, but I really wish the new HD channels would be compatible. Too much damn encryption. I don't understand why I can get a channel like Food Network or FoxNews or CNN, etc...in SD, but not in HD. They should both be available.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
You can set the time to record but not turn on/off. Though you could easily use an Applescript for that. The Elgato web forums have a lot of people (moderators) to help with scripting.

Thanks for the info.

Hmm... I wonder what other features I am used to using day in day out may be missing from Elgato's offering....

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Is it worth waiting a few months to see if Elgato puts out an HD-compatible device, or if the displayport-in becomes compatible with, say, an HD converter box normally used for a regular TV?

Goldie009

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009

I imagine it would be easy to set up an automator action to open EyeTV and choose your channel for you? Record the steps required with your mouse, save the automator action as an app. Use Ical to open the automator script as an application and voila! Morning Alarm clock set up. Just make sure your computer wakes from sleep a minute or so before the Ical alarm goes off. You can do this in the power saver settings....

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I imagine it would be easy to set up an automator action to open EyeTV and choose your channel for you? Record the steps required with your mouse, save the automator action as an app. Use Ical to open the automator script as an application and voila! Morning Alarm clock set up. Just make sure your computer wakes from sleep a minute or so before the Ical alarm goes off. You can do this in the power saver settings....

Great, thanks. Good to know this is possible.
However, as a completely new Mac user, terms like 'automator action', 'iCal', 'automator script' are new to me :) but am sure I can figure it out...

EDIT: something like this? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2488

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if it needs to work under windows ...my pc tv usbstick came with both cd`s ,one for mac with "eye tv lite "
and one for win with "tvcentre pro "
it works under linux too with kaffeine player

another thing which is in my opinion important
is the minimum requirements
the windows software at least a pentium 4 with 2ghz :eek:
and 256mb ram better 512mb under windows xp and

under windows vista at least 512 ram better 1gb ram
both xp and vista also want as minimum 64mb grafic :rolleyes:
it wont run on my old celeron (from 2002) 1.7ghz using windows xp

while the mac software eye tv just needs a minimum of a G4 processor and 256mb ram to work efficient and it works perfectly in my eMac (spec`s see signature):)
i have to mention that with linux ubuntu (made it look like mac os x ) its running alright on the old (from 2002) celeron 1.7 ghz machine with 256mb ram 8mb dedicated and 32mb shared grafic and using kaffeine player :confused:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if it needs to work under windows ...my pc tv usbstick came with both cd`s ,one for mac with "eye tv lite "
it works under linux too with kaffeine player

another thing which is in my opinion important
is the minimum requirements
the windows software at least a pentium 4 with 2ghz :eek:
and 256mb ram better 512mb under windows xp and

under windows vista at least 512 ram better 1gb ram
both xp and vista also want as minimum 64mb grafic :rolleyes:
it wont run on my old celeron (from 2002) 1.7ghz using windows xp

while the mac software eye tv just needs a minimum of a G4 processor and 256mb ram to work efficient and it works perfectly in my eMac (spec`s see signature):)
i have to mention that with linux its running alright on the old (from 2002) celeron 1.7 ghz machine with 256mb ram 8mb dedicated and 32mb shared grafic and using kaffeine player :confused:

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
<snip>

Hi, you refer to your 'pc tv usbstick' - but can you be slightly more clear on which product you actually have?? Elgato? Another manufacturer?

Goldie009

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Great, thanks. Good to know this is possible.
However, as a completely new Mac user, terms like 'automator action', 'iCal', 'automator script' are new to me :) but am sure I can figure it out...

EDIT: something like this? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2488

Yep, that page should get you to terms with automator well enough to set this up. Just click ther record button at the top, then do exactly the actions you want the computer to do in the morning (or whenever). Then stop the recording. Save it as an application in your applications folder.

iCal is your computers calendar program, if you make an event in ical (again, apple help pages will sort you out) you can make an alarm that sounds at the time of the event. You can make the alarm activate an application though - i.e the app that you recorded just moments before.

All you have to do then is make sure you're computer is not sleeping when the alarm is due to go off - system preferences > energy saver will sort that out for you.

Hope that's a biiit clearer.

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Yep, that page should get you to terms with automator well enough to set this up. Just click ther record button at the top, then do exactly the actions you want the computer to do in the morning (or whenever). Then stop the recording. Save it as an application in your applications folder.

iCal is your computers calendar program, if you make an event in ical (again, apple help pages will sort you out) you can make an alarm that sounds at the time of the event. You can make the alarm activate an application though - i.e the app that you recorded just moments before.

All you have to do then is make sure you're computer is not sleeping when the alarm is due to go off - system preferences > energy saver will sort that out for you.

Hope that's a biiit clearer.

It most definitely is, thank you very much!

I must admit though, I thought if the iMac is 'sleeping' it would wake up if an alarm was scheduled...

[OT]Also, all of this does (obviously?) not apply to running in Windows. Which is my plan, for immediate future at least; boot camping into Windows as 'default' boot sequence choice.[/OT]

Good advice on this thread, gents! Keep it all coming ;):D

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I'm trying to find a TV solution for Boot Camp also. I have Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid USB stick. I'll eventually be upgrading to one of the new iMacs and will be giving my current early 2006er to my wife, who will only be using Windows. I'll set her up in Boot Camp and was hoping I could use the EyeTV there. In VMware Fusion, which I use for Windows, XP recognizes the stick as a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900, so I went to Hauppauge's website and downloaded drivers and their TV software. Everything set up OK until I tried to scan for TV stations. The system didn't actually freeze solid, but it was severely handicapped - CPU usage went through the roof, and when the temperature got a little too high for my comfort, I had to shut down Fusion (the TV programme itself was not responding). Tried a few more times with the same outcome, then removed everything I had downloaded and decided it might just be easier to buy some USB-based system meant for PCs. There must be plenty out there. I was going to get a newer version of EyeTV for me and my new Mac, but I guess I'll just keep the one I have and get a PC stick for my wife.

Unless someone can offer another solution.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
As another eyeTV user I'd like to give some praise. :D

I had a AverTV PCI card for my desktop a while back and all software was mediocre at best.

I bought an eyeTV Hybrid and then later an eyeTV 250 for my MBP. They do get hot but nothing to worry about. They run just fine.

A CoreDuo MBP was able to multitask while recording video just fine, even with the Hybrid! (Hybrid uses software encoding, meaning uses your CPU, the 250 has it's own hardware encoder) I got both so I could do two streams at once and it works just fine.

Video games DO work just fine on either. I've played Wii and 360 on them (S-Video only) and as long as you turn off TimeShifting or put it into game mode they run fine.

If you use a cablebox then you're out of luck for HD support, although I think in the UK there is a version of eyeTV that can function in lieu of one. Unfortunately for me it's not available in the US.

Also, don't be worried about it being USB. It runs great over USB. :D

Goldie009

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
It most definitely is, thank you very much!

I must admit though, I thought if the iMac is 'sleeping' it would wake up if an alarm was scheduled...

You would think so I know! I expected this to be the case as well. I can see why people might not want it to happen though. For example, If you sync iCal on mobile me you probably don't want your computer at home to awaken every time your iphone alerts you to a calender entry whilst at work...

Maybe an option to "wake this computer" for a specific alarm would do the trick? Anyone know if this can be done?

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I'm trying to find a TV solution for Boot Camp also. I have Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid USB stick. I'll eventually be upgrading to one of the new iMacs and will be giving my current early 2006er to my wife, who will only be using Windows. I'll set her up in Boot Camp and was hoping I could use the EyeTV there. In VMware Fusion, which I use for Windows, XP recognizes the stick as a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-900, so I went to Hauppauge's website and downloaded drivers and their TV software. Everything set up OK until I tried to scan for TV stations. The system didn't actually freeze solid, but it was severely handicapped - CPU usage went through the roof, and when the temperature got a little too high for my comfort, I had to shut down Fusion (the TV programme itself was not responding). Tried a few more times with the same outcome, then removed everything I had downloaded and decided it might just be easier to buy some USB-based system meant for PCs. There must be plenty out there. I was going to get a newer version of EyeTV for me and my new Mac, but I guess I'll just keep the one I have and get a PC stick for my wife.

Unless someone can offer another solution.

Damn, thus far I was led to believe that Elgato's products are recognised under Hauppauge's software & drivers?

Did you check this out? http://blog.david.connolly.name/2006/09/elgato-eyetv-hybrid-in-windows.html

I had a AverTV PCI card for my desktop a while back and all software was mediocre at best.

Good news! I currently have the 'AverTV Hybrid + FM' PCI solution and whilst the software isn't great, it meets my requirements in terms of what it can do. Sounds positive for EyeTV.

If you use a cablebox then you're out of luck for HD support, although I think in the UK there is a version of eyeTV that can function in lieu of one. Unfortunately for me it's not available in the US.

Do you have any info on this to hand by any chance?

Also, a question regarding Elgato's offering - remote controls included? Where is the receiver??? On the end of the USB stick? If so, is this not really difficult if your USB receiver is plugged in BEHIND your iMac screen? :confused:

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Damn, thus far I was led to believe that Elgato's products are recognised under Hauppauge's software & drivers?

Did you check this out? http://blog.david.connolly.name/2006/09/elgato-eyetv-hybrid-in-windows.html

Good news! I currently have the 'AverTV Hybrid + FM' PCI solution and whilst the software isn't great, it meets my requirements in terms of what it can do. Sounds positive for EyeTV.

Do you have any info on this to hand by any chance?

Also, a question regarding Elgato's offering - remote controls included? Where is the receiver??? On the end of the USB stick? If so, is this not really difficult if your USB receiver is plugged in BEHIND your iMac screen? :confused:

First, the Hybrid comes with a USB extension cable, so it works just fine plugged into the back. :D

Also, eyeTV will Wake your computer for schedule recordings. It's in the settings. :)

And apparently the Sky card doesn't work. Elgato tech support is very helpful and fast if you send them an email asking if there is a good option for you.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Why don't you just use a sling box solo??? Thats what I use on my MP and I think it works great.

bbadalucco

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Can it send a HD signal to your Mac? Using Elgato no but want something that can send HD from dish to my Mac?

I have mine streaming HD content. You should definitely take a look at the sling box solo. I have mine connected to my motorola cable box (with HD)...I think it works great.

Keep in mind you need some sort of set top box...so if you have a DVR cable box for example you can use the DVR on it.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the pc tv usb stick i refer to is the
pc tv systems (pinnacle) "nano stick ultimate " (very small stick )
the included aerial is only useabale if you live very close to a sending mast
normal indoor aerial wth amplifier with more then 25db gain should work if you live around 10 miles to a sending mast if you live further away i suggest a rooftop aerial but in general i received about 30% more channels and the quality of the signal was about 20% better with this stick compared with the "haupage wintv nova -T"
both tested under linux using kaffeine player so they had a equal chance as you cant say a stick is better or worth if you choose different software
the hardware plays a keyrole if you receive channels or not and how many

software included with the nano stick ultimate is
for win is "TV centre pro" "distan tv" and "pinnacle video spin "

for Mac is elgato "eye tv lite" (upgradeable to "eye tv pro" @extra
cost )

stick works under linux using Kaffeine player

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
As another eyeTV user I'd like to give some praise. :D

I bought an eyeTV Hybrid and then later an eyeTV 250 for my MBP. They do get hot but nothing to worry about. They run just fine.

A CoreDuo MBP was able to multitask while recording video just fine, even with the Hybrid! (Hybrid uses software encoding, meaning uses your CPU, the 250 has it's own hardware encoder) I got both so I could do two streams at once and it works just fine.

Video games DO work just fine on either. I've played Wii and 360 on them (S-Video only) and as long as you turn off TimeShifting or put it into game mode they run fine.

Also, don't be worried about it being USB. It runs great over USB. :D

I have never used cable before so I could use some advice. People are saying something about HD being encrypted or something like that?
I don't know what a cable box is, but my landlord provides me with free cable (which i've never used before since i don't have a tv).
Its just a coaxial cable coming out of the wall.
Is this going to allow me to connect it to an eyetv tuner and watch the streams including HD and without having to buy a aerial?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.