TV Stick for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gazfocus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm looking to buy a TV Stick for my macbook (and iMac when I get one), but I've previously tried similar things for PC's and they've always been an epic fail. Can anyone recommend one for the Mac?

I'd prefer one that has Digital/Freeview and the ability to record TV, etc.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

A fail in what sense? I have had the Miglia TVMini which came with EyeTV software. This software has really matured and is a very good way of watching TV on the mac. They have a series of tuners listed on their website.

There is also the tubestick although I have not had any personal experience.

One thing to watch out for with the USB flash drive type of sticks is that the interface for the RF connector is very large and slight movements on them, over time, can lead to the internal connector breaking. I have had this happend a few times but have always managed to solder them back.

3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Just things like, they wouldn't pick up any TV signal (even if plugged into my main TV arial in the house, bad quality pictures, etc.

Thanks, I was actually looking for a USB flash drive type one but do they make TV cards that aren't USB sticks? (I've only ever seen the Stick type).

Thanks

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The EyeTV DVB-T stick is a solution.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-1436...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231198989&sr=1-1

I have it plugged into the iMac, and the EyeTV software was one of the primary reasons why I settled on an Apple as my kitchen PC, the main use of it being a glorified TV. In fact, it's the only piece / category of software I've been unable to find better under Windows and one of the major reasons the Pro is still sticking around at home, for transcoding recorded TV to the iPods and the PS3's - it's just so simple under EyeTV in a way it isn't under equivalent Windows software in this category. And if I say that, you know it has to be good, right? :p Plus, EyeTV is very stable in operation - unlike, once again, many of the Windows software in this category which can be bought aftermarket.

And yes, they make others than stick types. I use a different plug-in type on the Pro which allows for connection of external signals.

5. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I have the eyetv diversity. its brilliant.

The eyetv software also works with toast titanium to export your recorded shows to iPod and iTunes really simply and easily.

6. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I'll second the Elgato systems. Just got the stick tuner. Worked great through house aerial about half the number of channels with the mini aerial supplied (not bad I suppose) recording is easy and there are buttons to export your recording to Iphone/ipod or appleTV. Dead easy

Even supports HD broadcasts and for the basic model you cant compain at £40.

7. jpvaz macrumors member

I'll third the Elgato system. Got a Elgato EyeTV Hybrid for almost 1 year now. I'm very happy with the hardware and software. Works like a charm every time.