Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hey all.

I have my new home theater rigged up and tricked out:D

Now I have quite a few movies in digital format as opposed to hard media. However not all formats are in iTunes-capable formats. I have some formats such as AVI, MKV (Matroska), M4V, MP4. I believe M4V and MP4 can be played by iTunes though.

All of these are on a portable harddisk (one of those USB ones, not one of those ones plugged into a power socket) and I'd like to know if I can somehow play these on an TV which I'm planning to buy and install into my home theater rig.

While my MacBook Pro is capable of viewing all this, I'd like to view it on my home theatre rig.

Any suggestions? Or should I perhaps not consider the TV for my uses, and just get a different media server?

Thanks all.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Also, last someone told me (a friend) that the TV could only produce up to 720p video and not 1080p. I have a few movies in 1080p and "only" 720p doesn't quite make the cut for me...

And how do I get the avi files across to the TV? Can I just plug in my USB drive? Or do I sync it through iTunes on my laptop?

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
Also, last someone told me (a friend) that the TV could only produce up to 720p video and not 1080p. I have a few movies in 1080p and "only" 720p doesn't quite make the cut for me...

And how do I get the avi files across to the TV? Can I just plug in my USB drive? Or do I sync it through iTunes on my laptop?

Once you patchstick the TV you can install codecs to play avi files and plug in USB drives. You can also mount NFS, SMB and AFP file systems from servers or network attached storage boxes on your network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.