TV Tuner and iMac to TV connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iEdd, Nov 20, 2007.

1. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I have an HD Panasonic Viera LCD, which has two HDMI ports, one of which has 2 RCA jacks for separate audio. It only has an analogue tuner, however. So I wish to connect my iMac to my LCD, as well as connect a TV tuner so I can record/watch HD on my mac or through my tv.
    I know I need:
    • Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor (I haven't found decent pictures, but I believe it is DVI-D)
    • DVI-D (male or female?) to HDMI (male) cable
    • Stereo audio plug to two RCA plugs

This is, of course, unless there is a simple mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor?
    I am pretty sure how to do this, but as apple don't describe the cable well, it is too easy to order the wrong thing.

Also, which tuner is a better choice, this elgato or this pinnacle?

Thanks.

2. alanpgh macrumors newbie

Elgato or Pinnacle

Not sure if my comments will be helpful, but here goes:

I have a Mac and a PC. Just bought a Pinnacle PCTV HD Ultimate Stick here in the U.S. It has HD and Analog. Works great with my OTA antenna set up.

Did not test with my MAC; they do make a MAC version; not sure if it is the same hardware.

Have heard good things about Elgato but no direct experience.

Let me know what you choose.

Good Luck!

Alan
    alanpgh@gmail.com

3. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to go with the EyeTV, as it includes EyeTV 2, unlike the Pinnacle, which only includes lite.

Just to check, the mini-dvi to dvi cable, is a male mini-dvi to female dvi-d (dual link) port, correct? That means a male to male dvi-d (dual link) to hdmi cable can be connected and it will work on my tv?
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure it will work, but I'd like to be certain before I buy cables that the iMac is happy sending a signal through two adaptors to an HD TV.

4. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

So I take that as a 'no' on whether people have had experience with those tuners.
    Once again though:
    Has anyone successfully connected an iMac to a HD tv using the apple adaptor as well as a 24+1 pin DVI-D to HDMI cable?

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    At the risk of posting a pointless post, all I can tell you is the reason I have no experience with them myself is that I don't watch television, and so would find any such device useless. Moreover, I don't subscribe to digital cable TV service, so even if I wanted to, I'd have no way to make use of any such device.

Just saying...

6. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

Just wanted to say that I got it working, using the apple cable, this and this.

The only issue I had is the the top and bottom of the screen is slightly cut off (half of dock and all of menu bar). I couldn't seem to fix this after playing with a few different resolutions. Is there a way to make a custom resolution?

Unfortunately I can't play with it because I only tested them to make sure they would work then wrapped it all for christmas. :eek::D

7. Corner macrumors newbie

hey there...
    what is the "apple cable" that you mention? i saw the links to "this" and "this" but need a pic of this cable.

i have a macbook and and panasonic viera also. i dont need a tuner i just want to hook it up to the viera to play photos.

8. iEdd thread starter macrumors 68000

iEdd

It's called the Apple mini-DVI to DVI adaptor kit. $35AU. Now, Apple are so hopeless as to not tell you which sort of DVI you get, but I can tell you that it's Dual link DVI-D (female) (See thread picture). The icon on the packaging shows it as a single-link DVI-I!!! :mad: Good thing I researched it first. :)