TV Tuner for 23" Cinema Display

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
I'm looking into purchasing an old style 23" inch cinema display for use as a television. As many probably already know the native resolution of the display is 1920x1200, whereas most standalone (VGA) tuners I can find only support up to around 1280x1024.

Has anyone tried such a setup before? If so, what is a good tuner for use with this display? I would really prefer to do this without a computer being involved in the loop, so emphasis on STANDALONE.

Thanks in advance for the help.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
There is 3 forms of a TV picture quality.

Standard definition - resolution of 480 x 640 for 4:3 image or 16:9 resolution is 720 x 480
720p High Definition - resolution of 1280 x 720
1080p/i High Definition - resolution of 1920 x 1080

Depending on where you are in the world, most broadcasts are still only standard definition. Parts of America offer HDTV over a terrestrial aerial in 720p and 1080p/i formats (depending on the channel).

As for stand alone tuners, a DVD recorder with a digital box built in would do the job - you'd need an HDMI to DVI adapter though, and not sure if you'd get your hi-definition picture through them either. I'd recommend using one that plugs into your computer because then you can set it to record channels etc. And I know that they support HDTV if it's available in your area.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
How are you planning to connect the 23" ACD? To a computer or directly to a TV tuner? As far as I know, and reading more threads about this, a 23" can't be connected directly to a TV tuner. It just doesn't work.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
How are you planning to connect the 23" ACD? To a computer or directly to a TV tuner? As far as I know, and reading more threads about this, a 23" can't be connected directly to a TV tuner. It just doesn't work.
I was planning on connecting it directly to a tuner, but that may just not be in the cards. Alternatively, I can just get a PCI tuner card for my crappy Dell Dimension, which kind of renders my original post moot.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
I don't know about the ACD's specifically, but I have my HD-TiVo hooked up to a 24" 1920x1080 LCD using a regular dvi-d to HDMI cable...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
That's because a Tivo or a Dell has a piece of hardware in them so you can hook them up to a different device then a computer. The ACD's don't have this unfortunately. Maybe the next gen... Therefore you'll always need a computer between an ACD and a TV tuner.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
And then what? That doesn't work. It only allows old ACD's with an Apple Display Connector (ADC) to connect to a regular DVI port. If you have an ACD with DVI, this is completely useless. On the recent ACD's this break-out cable is already standard attached to the ACD. It doesn't has one connector (ADC) anymore, but now it has four connectors: DVI, USB, Firewire, and Power. With the ADC connector all these where combined.