tv tuner For iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Psilocybin, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Hi everyone,
    I require a tv tuner for my iMac I have digital. Able that doesn't require spending $200 +. Any suggestions?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by "I have digital"? If you mean digital broadcast, then things are easy. If you mean digital cable, then you are likely limited to retransmitted digital broadcast channels without a set top box. Cable-exclusive digital channels are scrambled in the US. I presume that this is also the case in Canada. For cable, you may use the Elgato eyetv 250 plus ($199.95 US). It has an ATSC tuner for digital broadcast, NTSC for analog cable, and ClearQAM for unscrambled digital cable. If you have only broadcast, then the Elgato eyetv one ($99.95 US) is for you. It features an ATSC tuner. Be mindful of the fact that this tuner is broadcast-exclusive.

3. Psilocybin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Typo. Digital cable I meant. So my only choice is $200 eyetv?

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I think they may be the best choice-they have the widest range of products, great features (hardware encoding, software only solutions, iOS app, just to name a few)

I will say that there may be other products but I don't see them advertised very often.

5. Psilocybin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Thanks for the info