TV tuner for MBP?

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hey all,
I'm at college right now and the desire to catch some programming is growing. I know that with some windows computers you can buy a TV tuner and hook it up to watch TV on your computer.

i wanted to know if there was a TV tuner for the MBP and my college also provides basic channels for free with the standard analog wire hook-up type thing...(the usually white wire with one prong???) if i can use this instead of getting an antenna that would be awesome.

is it possible?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
You are thinking of starting a new opensourced tv tuner app? Good on you man, I was hoping to see more competition to EyeTV in this arena ;)

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Generik.... you lost me...

were you catching me on "i'm missing programming?"

if so...haha...very funny...lol :)

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
mark2288 said:
Generik.... you lost me...

were you catching me on "i'm missing programming?"

if so...haha...very funny...lol :)
Oops!! Different kind of programming! No wonder for a while I was thinking it didn't make sense :D

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
As nutty as it sounds what I'd recommend is buying a cheap mini to go with the EyeTV tuner as well, Minis are so wonderful as a PVR I just don't know how to begin, plus you don't have to tetter your MBP to your desk whole day either ;)

gwimby

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
mark2288-
the eyetv is the defacto standard for mac tv viewing. def. the most supported product out there, if a bit pricey.
a side benefit is the new 2.3 software that lets you interface with front row to control the tv viewing w/ your apple remote.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
so i'm looking at the eyeTv hybrid. it looks like it will get the job done. anyone have any experience with elegato products?