tv tuner for powerbook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pmcb, Dec 2, 2008.

1. pmcb macrumors member

hey i was checking out this tv tuner,
    http://www.powerbookg4battery.com/item/ElGato/10020780R/

i mostly want to use it for capturing xbox 360 footage, does anyone have any experiance doing this?

i play xbox on an hdtv and would like to be able to play in hd and record in svideo or regular, is this possible at all?

would the cheaper tuner work just as well?
    http://www.powerbookg4battery.com/item/ElGato/10020415R/

also i only have a 1.5ghz processor and .5g ram, would thiis be enough to be able to capture with no hiccups?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Neither your post nor your profile mention where you are. I'm going to assume you're in the U.S.

First: For the U.S., there are two broadcast standards: The old analog "NTSC", and the new digital "ATSC". Your computer isn't really fast enough for ATSC, but is more than adequate for NTSC.

Second: Pretty much all "TV tuners" out there that are current devices can do both the analog NTSC as well as the digital ATSC. In addition, most support standard-definition analog video input through an "RCA" (properly called composite) or S-Video jack. Both of these jack types will produce the same basic signal as NTSC broadcasts. This is what you care about for capturing your Xbox video. There are a few that will input high-definition through HDMI or component inputs; but they are either desktop add-in cards, or ridiculously expensive.

So all you really need is the cheapest TV tuner with composite or S-Video input that works with the Mac. An old used EyeTV 200 would work just fine.

I don't have an Xbox 360, but if it supports outputting both HD and composite/S-Video at the same time, you'll be set. If it only supports "one or the other", then you'll have a hard time, because analog video input to a computer inherently adds latency. That makes playing games harder. (i.e. I can play my Wii on my computer through my EyeTV Hybrid; but fast-action games are difficult because the display is showing things half a second or more after they have happened.)