TV Tuner on MacBooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juiceman311, May 11, 2007.

1. juiceman311 macrumors member

Can I install a TV Tuner card on a MacBook, and if so, will it work as well as it would on a PC?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

MacBooks don't have PCI slots or express card slots. You would have to use a USB tuner like the Elgato.

3. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

Do they perform well, or is there some lag time and/or video or audio distortion?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you. Do a forum search for Elgato or EyeTV.

5. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

You can get MediaCentral with a cheap Miglia USB receiver; read this...

[​IMG]

6. Coops46 macrumors member

I have the elgato hooked up to my Macbook, it works excellently. You really do need to have it hooked upto a roof mounted aerial or an aerial with a strong signal because the supplied one is rubbish!
    The software, eyetv2 is brilliant, you can let your mac record any program you want, it'll wake it, record it, then it can convert it for your ipod or Apple TV. I do this with programs and watch them on the bus in the morning, works really well cos they're already in your itunes waiting to sync.
    The apple remote works with the eyetv and the eyetv doesn't have to be in range to use the apple remote, where as the other one supplied does so there's no way of conceiling the usb key with this. And the apple remote gives you a simpler way of controlling the software.

A great buy for your mac