TV Tuner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GPap, Jul 11, 2015.

1. GPap macrumors regular

GPap

Hello, does anyone could suggest me the best solution for watching TV on my iMac ?
    Card or USB Stick, internal or external, I don't mind, I use now Hybrid from Elgato but I cannot receive the best image quality and I'm searching for another. Please suggest me.
    Thanks in advance.

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

I use a Slingbox connected to my setop box. It connects to the component video outputs of the setop box and transmits to all kind of devices (iOs, Safari, .......) in HD.
    This way I can watch TV on my iMac either in a window or full screen on my 2nd monitor.

http://www.slingbox.com/Products/Slingbox350/Features.aspx

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

Hmm, this requires a bit of clarification. It's possible that your signal is overcompressed at the source. It's also possible that your antenna is not good enough to receive a clean signal, and needs to be replaced with a bigger, higher, one. Or it could be that it isn't aimed properly.
    Replacing your tuner could lead to hours of frustration as you wonder why your tv signal hasn't improved.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The answer is different for US and Europe, other areas.

I used a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun. Its sits on your home network and any device can grab a tuner. I currently use Myth on the Mac and Windows media center on a Windose 7 machine. VLC also works OK on the Mac. Elgato still sells a mac box I think.

5. GPap, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

Hello,
    Does SlingBox 500 works with any Satellite dish-service in Europe ?
    The setup is easy ? Wi-Fi is strong enough because my router is a bit far ?
    If I watch TV on my iMac in the room can someone be able to watch TV in the living-room ?

Thanks.