TV tuners for Mac

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cave Man, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, it looks like my EyeTV Hybrid is dead. I wanted to buy another one but I see they are no longer manufactured for the US market. So, what are the best TV tuners now? I'm only using an antenna for local stations and need the DVR functions.

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

3. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Glad I was able to help. I love mine, it works great :)

5. iccb macrumors member

iccb

Does eyetv support full hd recording from hdhomerun?

6. Mac... nificent, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016

Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

https://www.elgato.com/en/eyetv/eyetv-3

BTW, there is also MythTV, which is free (you'll need a HDHomeRun to connect your antenna to). I'll be giving it a try later today :)

Here are some of its key features;

• Watch and record analog and/or digital TV, including HDTV.
    • Pause, skip, and rewind live TV shows.
    • Completely automatic commercial detection/skipping, with manual correction via an intuitive cutlist editor.
    • Intelligently schedules recordings to avoid conflicts.
    • Parental controls to keep your kids out of the good shows.
    • Watch and archive DVDs.
    • Listen to your digital music collection.
    • Schedule and administer many functions remotely via a web browser.
    • Flexible client/server architecture allows multiple fronted client machines to access content served by one or more backend servers (although the most common installation consists of a single computer running both the client and server together).

7. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

I seem to be having trouble recording scheduled programs. It goes for a few seconds, then abruptly stops. If I manually start a recording it works fine, but anything in the program Schedules doesn't work. My HDHomerun is connected to my AEBSac and broadcasting to a Mac mini with quad-core i7 by wifi. Any suggestions?

8. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

9. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

One other thing. It has two tuners. Am I correct that I set one tuner for each Mac? I have two macs on the network, basement Mac (tuner 1) and living room Mac (tuner 0). I was able to enable/disable each of these tuners with the EyeTV Setup Assistant.

Thanks.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

The intent is to allow all Apps (meaning each Mac) to access all available turners. They are supposed to issue a lock when using a turner so that others know they have it but EyeTV may not play nice to best to test. By giving both Mac's both turners then either can record 2 shows at the same time. But if 1 Mac is using both turners then the other Mac is locked out. But if either Mac will never record more then one show at a time then it should not matter. But am curious why you do not have 1 Mac do all of the work but I am assuming you have your reasons. Maybe WiFi access or something. When I used EyeTV I did not disable turners so not that familiar with it.

11. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

OK, thanks for that info.

Mostly because I don't know what I'm doing yet! The documentation seems rather scant for this device. I'm still having the issue where it plays just fine for several minutes or longer, but then suddenly goes to the blue screen with the message "This channel is not available" (or some such), even though my signal strength is 100% and signal quality is 90% (or more). This sometimes occurs even when I'm not recording. If I close the window, then open a new live TV window it plays just fine. Really annoying because recording is not reliable.

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would probably start with testing with the HDHomeRun View Application to make sure the Turners are working properly. If you have an Apple TV you might also try out the Live TV App Channels (currently $14.99 going to $24.99 on Super Bowl). If you have problems with these then contact SiliconDust for help. They are good not then look on the EyeTV Forum at SiliconDust. Maybe someone there could help you. Good Luck.

13. mac.jedi macrumors 6502

Also try updating the firmware on your tuner using the HDHomeRun app … might be the ticket.

Also, take a look at the power supplies. I believe silicon dust has a page to check if your power supply is faulty by serial number. I had to replace them on both my dual tuners. I bought them through Amazon.

14. BayouTiger macrumors regular

Wow! I now know I need to hang on to my EyeTv's. I use the HD version all the time.

15. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It's intended use is so that you can record one thing while watching another.

16. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

This thing is really frustrating. I set it to record for 3 hours and it quit 1:22 into the recording. No idea what happened. Totally freezes and I have to unplug it, then plug it back in to get it to reinitialize. But then the problem resumes hours/days later. Any suggestions?

17. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

It's impossible to diagnose something like this over the internet, but generally speaking this usually happens because of hard drive/memory issues.

18. Cave Man thread starter macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm beginning to think it's the EyeTV software. I've been running the HDHomerun Vew app and it's been running for about 3 hours straight. Unfortunately, you can't record with this software, right?

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

HDHomeRun has a DVR but still in BETA. Only for people that like to play with these things.
    Read about it here: https://www.silicondust.com/goodbye-windows-media-center/

Regarding EyeTV. Seemed to work fine for me when I was using it. But since they never supported the HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard) I dropped it. You may want contact EyeTV Support or check their forums.

Good Luck.