TV tuners for monitors...do they exist?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gothamm, Jan 31, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

my dream was to have a 28 inch monitor sporting 1900x1200 with a built-in atsc/ntsc tuners like they have on all them fancy new hdtvs.

the tuner is the only thing that seperates a monitor from a tv (and of course the lower screen resolution).

So...are there any tuners out there that can broadcast free over the air hd channels (like fox, abc, cbs etc.)

i know theres is the elgato eye tv but you need to plug it through a computer. I want to bypass this step and hook something directly to the monitor...so no computer involvement.

btw this is the monitor i am planning on buying.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11236988&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

how can i view OTA hd channels on it?

PS

as you can see, the $50 off offer ends today so a quick response would be appreciated :)

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can use either a TiVo HD, HD Cable Box, or HD Satillite Reciever. You can connect them to it with HDMI, DVI-D, or Component inputs (as indicated on the spec sheet provided).

EDIT: I see you talking about OTA, The TiVO HD or a DTV Tuner (for HDTV's without DTV tuners) would work. The TiVo is $299 the DTV Tuner can be between $100 and $500.

TEG

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Some Monitors (especially larger ones) have Video inputs also. This would allow you to use anything that can output a video signal, like a VCR, DVR, Tivo, Cable Box, etc.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The one he is linked to has HDMI (w/ HDCP), Component, VGA, and DVI. His question is more where to get an NTSC/ATSC/HD Tuner.

TEG

5. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TEG: thats exactly what i need. thanks for understanding. i wasn't so sure people were not going to understand what the hell i was talking about.