Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I am looking for a TV Tuner to be used with my MBP 17" (2010 model) in Japan. I have asked several sales but they could not offer advice as it is uncommon to watch TV from the computer here. Anybody tried the following products?

1. I-O Data m2TV (GV-MACTV)
http://www.iodata.jp/product/tv/tidegi/gv-mactv/feature.htm

2. http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/multimedia/chideji/dt-h70_u2/

I am not sure if Windows-oriented products have better drivers, features and software in this case. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. As I can use Bootcamp to booth into Windows, the product from Buffalo is ok as well. Thanks.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
What's the TV standard? Looks terrestrial.

I don't get anything in the video, but the M2TV looks like a japanese-version of the EyeTV. I'd rather go for that one, or for a real EyeTV, like those US-Versions that control external receivers via an IR-blaster. EyeTV Sat should also work with PerfecTV!, but you don't get PerfecTV! e3, because it's transmitted in ISDB-S - so no HD. On Window's Media Center, you wouldn't really have any more functions than the M2TV has.

According to Elgato, there is only one ISDB-T device supported, which is the Logitech LDT-1S302U. You could run that with EyeTV3, as well. I guess it only receives 1seg as it only costs $23.50 with EyeTV 3 Lite, though.

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah, Japan uses two standards ISDB-T for Digital, and NTSC-J for Analog. You could get a regular Analog tuner, but the brightness will be a bit weird. And that will stop working in a year (July 24th 2011) when Analog broadcasts are set to end.

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
I have had positive experiences with 1seg tuners, which is also a plus if you use your MBP outside or on the road. Wouldn't be good outside of an urban area, though, and the picture quality is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.