TV Tuners

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lilmitchmitch, Dec 3, 2008.

1. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Hey, I was hoping I could get some insight and advice on TV Tuners for my MacBook Pro.

I have done a little research on them and just want to know a little more about it. I love the idea of being able to watch TV from my computer, so what can I expect if I were to buy something such as the Elgato eye tv hybrid, http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/hybrid08/product1.en.html? What kind of stations do you get, what is the quality like, etc etc.

Basically, is it worth it to go with a TV tuner, or is there another route to take?

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

Ive got the elgato digital stick. You get all the stations you would normally.

It is a bit buggy. The software is great when it works. The reception is good most of the time. There is a bit of luck if it works or not. Most of the time it is good. You probably will miss a few programmes to reliability. You will need to buy a good aerial, or if you can use the house's, the one they provide is a bit too small.

There are other manufactuers, look for Miglia or Formac, but I've heard the software for these is a bit stoneage although I havn't used them.

3. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

elegato eye tv hybrid just the one your looking at! It's one of the best purchases I've ever made! No regrets and have never had any issues. I always hook mine up via the cable connector not using any antennas. Since the previous poster was perhaps some issues came from that. However, I would look into seeing rather or not it will be DTV compatible for the oncoming storm 2009 (even though im sure it probably is) Ive had mine for at least 2 if not 3 years cant really remember....love it

4. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! I'll keep looking into them. Does anybody else have suggestions or a little more info about them?

5. mastershakess macrumors 6502

will this still record schedule programs if your computer is asleep or does it need to be awake to record?

Edit: I found my own solution, it will wake up or turn on a mac before the show starts

6. lilmitchmitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that's pretty sweet. Haven't seen that. Another plus I guess :)

7. mastershakess macrumors 6502

i may pick this up and get rid of the DVR, one less monthly charge