Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I love the Elgato EyeTV range and would definitely recommend that... IF the OP wants to record tv. If he wants to capture from other sources, then there is one better product for that task.

chan2004

macrumors regular
Original poster
I love the Elgato EyeTV range and would definitely recommend that... IF the OP wants to record tv. If he wants to capture from other sources, then there is one better product for that task.

hi,

my main need is to capture my fav tv shows and music videos and store it in my system.
i don't know abt other souces?
also, i'm new to mac world, so don't know abt eyetv

i checked the eyetv range. can u tell me what accesssory i need to buy specifically

thanks in advance.. :)
chan

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Another vote here for Elgato and EyeTV.

Elgato makes a range of EyeTV hardware suitable for receiving analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial, satellite and cable television.

Some of their models will also accept an input from (say) a VHS video recorder or a games console, allowing you to capture content from those sources too - but there are other ways of doing this too.

Go to their website and pick the one for you.

All Elgato hardware comes bundled with the EyeTV 2 software, which absolutely rocks. From there you can export to iTunes for viewing on an iPod or :apple:TV. Don't settle for anything else.

If you also get Toast 8 Titanium, you can burn your recordings to DVD.

SL

chan2004

macrumors regular
Original poster
Another vote here for Elgato and EyeTV.

Elgato makes a range of EyeTV hardware suitable for receiving analogue terrestrial, digital terrestrial, satellite and cable televisions.

Some of their models will also accept an input from (say) a VHS video recorder or a games console, allowing you to capture content from those sources too - but there are other ways of doing this too.

Go to their website and pick the one for you.

All Elgato hardware comes bundled with the EyeTV 2 software, which absolutely rocks. From there you can export to iTunes for viewing on an iPod or :apple:TV. Don't settle for anything else.

If you also get Toast 8 Titanium, you can burn your recordings to DVD.

SL

OMG... that was real quick :)
kudos to elgato and all mac masters

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
And which product would that be?

I don't know what product WildPalms is referring to... but...

I've found that the best way to capture VHS video is to record it onto a DVD-R using a domestic DVD Recorder, and then rip it to the Mac using Toast (which can read the unencrypted DVD-VR logical format that my DVD Recorder uses). I used to muck around with a Miglia SCART-DV converter and iMovie, but my new way is much less hassle.

SL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.