TV TYPE FOR Wii, LCD vs Plasma

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Mac'nCheese, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

In the market for a new tv and wondering if you guys felt that a particular type of tv was better for playing games on. Will be hooking up a cable box for tv watching, bluray for movies and my old wii soon, I guess, to be replaced by a Wii U.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What price point are you looking at? Plasmas will generally have deeper blacks and a faster refresh rate, but they aren't as bright so they could look dim in a room with a lot of natural light. LCDs tend to be brighter, but have lighter blacks and lower refresh rates. For the right price though you can get an LCD that performs like or better than a Plasma.

Regardless of type you should get a TV that has a lot of end user control options so that you can do things like turn off all the image processes that will cause lag and the 240hz framerate that makes movies look like soap operas.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Really don't want to go over $1000 and would like it to be more like $700. I'm just sick of my older, tube hd that isn't even real wide screen. I want all my real estate so to speak. My problem is , I don't want to change stuff when I switch inputs. I would love to just put the tv on one mode and have decent video and audio no matter what the source is. Am I out of my mind and have to accept the fact that I will have to change settings? I know what you mean by the soap opera look. My bro in law has a tv that no matter what we do, the movies look like they were shot on video not film. Its creepy and I hate watching any movies there.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I purchased a Plasma TV for our living room a few years ago.

For me, the deciding factor was that I could purchase a low end Plasma TV that looked fantastic and had terrific picture quality. LCD TVs in the same price range had sort of sketchy image quality. Blacks were probably the most important - when I'm watching a movie at night and the screen goes black - I want the screen to be black, not blackish gray.

The only settings I've changed is to turn the picture preset to "Movie" from "Dynamic" which is the default. With my TV, the "Movie" preset prevents the screen from shutting off when it goes completely black. In "Dynamic" and "Standard" mode, when the screen is free of any image, it shuts off until something else comes on the screen. I don't know who designed that feature, but it looks like crap when it happens during credits or something.

The TV has an xbox, a wii, a cable box, a bluray player, and an Apple TV connected to it.

I'm thinking about getting a new TV soon (as the 42" tv is looking sort of small these days) and I would certainly buy a Plasma again.

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I am a huge plasma fan. The picture is just warmer and more natural to me. The blacks are great! Whenever I need a new tv, it will most certainly be a plasma again. I find LCD's can be almost aggressive and exhausting on the eyes in comparison, though this can be minimized with the right settings.

However, if your room is very bright, the plasma might not be the right choice. On a sunny day with a lot of daylight flooding your viewing room, LCD has the advantage.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I picked up a Bravia KDL55HX853 a month or two ago. It's LCD and looks insanely brilliant, especially after a bit of tweaking. At the time it was one of the best displays you could get. Very expensive though. But I find with TV's you get what you pay for (to a certain degree).

There's a "Reality Creation" chip, or something like that, which works wonders on making both SD and HD look better. It works great on the Wii but it does add a bit of lag (it's a very powerful effect), so fast games won't be playable.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you can get a good TV for between $700 and a grand. The panasonic plasma I have (sorry, don't know model # off the top of my head) remembers the settings for each input and allows you to label each one too. So my input labeled "game" has different settings than my input labeled "Blu-ray".

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks all, all advice will be mulled (?) over....:)

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The Wii is outputting so low quality that i dont think it matters..

10. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes thats true but I think the new one is going to be hd.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Depends on what's upscaling it. Looks grand on my (new) Bravia. Not full HD of course, but much better than my older Bravia and Samsung.

12. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Component cables help, too. Avoid the composite cables that come with the wii if you're connecting to an HDTV.

Here's a link to a set of component cables at Monoprice.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I use composite cables for my Wii, attached to a 50" PK950N. I have to sit 4 meters from the screen without feeling sorry for my eyes, and even then, the quality isn't very good.

14. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

The other thing to note is that plasmas don't have the flash lighting in the corners that happen on LCD panels