TV vs. Computer Dimensions/Resolutions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mediaman7879, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mediaman7879 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem...

Most of the video work I have done is for the web. I now have a client who needs a video slideshow for a tradeshow. The output is on a plasma screen tv. They desire a DVD deliverable.

I arranged the photos (720x480 72ppi) in FCE, added the music and transitions and then exported to iDVD to play as a loop.

Everything looked great on my computer screen, but when I played the DVD on my TV at home, the images looked stretched and the most of the text i put over a black bar at the bottom of the screen was cut off.

What do I need to do? Should I resize the images I import into FCE? I noticed the "title safe" boxes, and I'm assuming now that my text must appear within those, but which one (there are 2)?

If I'm adding text to a photo in Photoshop is there a general area inside the 720x480 that i need to stay in? Example: All text must go with a 700x460 area within the photo in order to appear on the TV screen properly??

Sorry for rambling on like this, but thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Chad

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't forget that DVD pixels are never rendered square.

720x480 is squeezed down to effectively 640x480 (things get narrower) if played on 4:3 and wider if played on 16:9 (effectively 852x480).

B