tvOS 10 - New Siri Countries

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iGraham4, Jun 14, 2016.

1. iGraham4 macrumors member

Can anyone with the beta installed check something for me please? Change your region to Ireland and see if Siri is an option.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Seems to work for the Netherlands (tvOS 10 beta)!

3. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

Also could someone check if you now can setup different languages for system language and siri (like on iOS)?

For example system language is set to english and siri to german or something similar

4. johnnielse macrumors newbie

Could someone please check if Siri works for Denmark? Thanks!

5. Beatbeckham macrumors regular

6. derekreilly macrumors newbie

Fully functional? Can you search and open films on iTunes and Netflix?

7. jaknudsen macrumors member

jaknudsen

Yes.

Jeg har sagt «spol tilbake fem minutter» flere ganger med hell :)

8. MLVC macrumors 6502

Siri in Dutch has a problem in not being able to recognize English titles. That basically renders it useless here as no titles get translated.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Argh! They finally enabled Siri in Sweden, but only if you're using Swedish as the system language... if you stick to English, which I always do, Siri is still greyed out when Sweden is the selected region. Bizarre.

Why can't it simply work like Siri on iOS, where you can select any Siri input language you want, independently of system language and region?

I prefer to keep everything in English, unspoiled by idiot translators who (with few exceptions) do such sloppy work that you often have to pause to try and figure out what the original text was before the translator butchered it.

I reluctantly switched to Swedish on my ATV4, and now I get stuff like this (Plex, just an example):

English: Play - Mark as watched - Go to show - Go to season - Settings
    Swedish: Play - Mark as watched - Gå till föreställning - Gå till säsong - Settings

Items 1+2 were left untouched as if they accidentally missed them or couldn't be bothered. Same goes for #5.
    #4 is acceptable. #3 is like some Google Translate brainfart; Föreställning does translate to show, but only in the context of theater/cinema, where it refers to a single performance/showing.

That's just one example out of a thousand... even Apple's own localizations leave a lot to be desired. If the price of admission to Siri is to live with garbage text across the entire UI, I'd rather give up Siri.

It's such a weird and arbitrary limitation, though. North Americans who happen to live abroad can't use Siri on Apple TV unless they learn to speak each new local language without an accent? Mkay...

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Plex translations are being done by volunteers. If you don't like the translation, you can easily sign up and fix it yourself at transifex.com. That being said, I've always considered Apple own localization in danish to be top notch.

But at least you got Siri on the Apple TV.. We don't in Denmark. :(

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, Plex wasn't the best example, but dodgy translations are everywhere. I'm looking at the Watch app on my iPhone right know, and it's littered with errors and half-assed translations. Some examples: 1) Apple calls the Watch face gallery "Urtavelsgalleri", which isn't even a word. I understand the need to create new words for concepts that don't have established names yet, but then at least make them grammatically correct.
    2) It refers to the Time Lapse watch face as "Tidsförskjutning", i.e. time displacement. There's no reference to that word prior to some news articles about a new camera feature in iOS 8. The articles refer to the feature as the aforementioned word, sometimes adding "...which Apple chose to call it for some weird reason". Before Apple's translator pulled this misnomer out of a hat, it used to be called "intervallfoto" (and still is). Using the original English term is acceptable too. Even tidsförlopp (like the corresponding Danish word tidsforløb) would've been OK. But time displacement is either the sociological concept or the physics concept of gravitational time dilation... not taking goddamn pictures at intervals.
    3) it refers to Complication positions as "Uppe till vänster" and "Nedtill höger". It's as if the Danish version would refer to them as "Øverst til venstre" and "Nedentil højre".
    It's either "Uppe till vänster" + "Nere till höger", or it's "Övre vänster" + "Nedre höger". Never "nedtill höger".

This is why I always choose the raw, unaltered English version over the localized one. I'll rather have everything entirely in my 2nd language than partially proper Swedish mixed with demented Swenglish. For the same reason, I often turn off subtitles on movies and TV shows. The translators are just too lazy. The other day I was watching a Blade Runner extra with some behind the scenes interviews with the cast, including Edward James Olmos, who played a character named Gaff. The Swedish subtitles read "Edward James Olmos - elektriker" (electrician). Uh... no, you're thinking of a gaffer, and besides, why the hell would there be a lengthy interview with the chief electrician, and why would said electrician be sharing memories of acting alongside Harrison Ford? Did the Swedish translator watch Battlestar Galactica a couple of years later and go "OMG, it's that electrician from the Blade Runner set! I guess he's an actor now!"

12. stellarvore macrumors newbie

stellarvore

In Finland doesn't work,
    i bought Apple TV yesterday
    you cannot enable siri