tvOS 11 multi-users???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Apr 18, 2017.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

That rumor is hitting all the blog sites today. Prognosticators are generally accurate on about 50% of rumored Apple features.

It would be nice given many (Hulu, Netflix etc) apps are going this route. It would let you customize the interface for different viewers for all of the ATV apps if the developers choose to support it (I assume it would be an API to allow third parties to take advantage of it). That, or when installing\deleting, it would prompt for all users, or just the current user.

I would like to see a tool for common provisioning of multiple ATV. I own multiple ATV and getting a consistent interface is a challenge, not to mention having to authenticate all the apps on each device. Perhaps add a Time Machine backup function to ATV, or an iCloud Keychain type of thing to allow a second ATV to be configured with the apps and settings from the "Master" ATV. So, configure once, and copy to additional ATV. I am sure there is some sort of legal wrangle that requires separate authentications, but Apple has been successful in the past in getting agreements to allow up to 5 devices for App Store and iTunes content, so perhaps there is still hope?

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

Restore/setup from iCloud backup for tvOS is definitely needed