tvOS 12.3 broke CEC for me

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by KeepCalmPeople, May 27, 2019.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I have reported it to Apple.

Sony STR-D750 receiver
    Samsung UN55 something 4K TV
    Apple TV 4K

No longer able to turn the receiver and TV on and off in sync with waking and putting the Apple TV to sleep, using the Apple TV remote. Volume on Apple TV remote no longer controls receiver volume.

2. Michelasso macrumors 6502

Michelasso

Sorry for the dumb question, but have you checked that HDMI-CEC is still enabled in the ATV? I ask this because for no reason I have it resetting both CEC and volume to NO randomly (I have a Yamaha AVR + Sony Bravia).

3. Allistah macrumors member

Allistah

Ours stopped turning off the TV too. :-(. Wife is pissed off now. Cool. When it comes to TV, Apple needs to know these things need to be "Wife Approved". lol

4. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I got a reply on the Apple Support forum: I should check for a firmware update for my TV.
    Of course it isn’t Apple’s fault... /s.

5. Allistah macrumors member

Allistah

We just got our Apple TV a couple days ago. First day it worked - turning off the TV via HDMI and then after the Apple TV updated, it stopped working. And it is still turned on. Not sure what’s up besides a bug in Apple TV.

6. Allistah macrumors member

Allistah

Tonight I tested this again. My wives Apple ID did not turn off the TV but when I switched to mine it worked. Switched back to hers, didn't work again. Switch back to mine, works again. I went into the settings, turned off the control for the TV in settings a couple times and left it off for a few minutes, turned it back on, then my wives account started working again. I know this is not concrete but at least it might give someone enough to get theirs working again. Reply back if it helps..

7. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I ended up doing a full factory reset and tvOS upgrade, and it fixed the problem.

8. luche21 macrumors newbie

Same issue. Apple TV 4 (1080p model) connected to a Sony soundbar via HDMI, going into a Samsung UN55F7100 TV. HDMI-CEC worked perfectly fine until the latest tvOS update (12.3). I was able to turn on off the TV with the Apple TV remote simply by controlling the Apple TV itself via sleep/wake.. since the last update I need 2 remotes, and the family keeps leaving the TV on all day, because nobody expects it to not turn off.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Actually, why do you need the Siri remote?
    I seem to handle everything with TV remote.
    OK, I admit, I don't use Siri :/

10. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

I didn't experience the fault at all via 12.3