tvOS 12 wishlist

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DesertDog, Dec 29, 2017.

1. DesertDog, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

DesertDog macrumors member

What's everyone's wishlist for the next version of tvOS?

Here's my initial list:
    - Picture in Picture
    - "Overlay" apps. An app that can run as just an overlay over the current app. I'm thinking something like a sports score app that I can have up while watching a game.
    - Better home kit support. The ATV acts as the hub but I can't set triggers for stuff like lights come on/off with the ATV sleep, trigger dimming on play/stop, etc.
    - Visualizers apps. Mainly for music, apps that can run full screen and get fed the current audio stream so that it can process it as a visualizer. Bonus points for passing in video info so that you can do an app that controls lights based on it similar to DreamScreen.
    - "Hey Siri" support.

One more I just thought of:
    - Background processing for apps. So an app like Infuse can scan your library while it's in the background so that new stuff is ready when you launch it.

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

support for bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA/Atmos/DTS:X

And that's it.

3. JeffPerrin, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017

JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

Apple absolutely needs to take on game console market in order for Apple TV to really take off. So my wish is that Apple partners up with an A-list developer to help launch a true "Gaming Edition" Apple TV.

- Dedicated Apple game controller
    - Beefy CPU/GPU/RAM/on-board storage

Anyways, Happy New Year! :)

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

PIP/Multitasking is the big one for me. That would make my ATV infinitely more functional.

5. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The A10X most certainly meets all your second requirements, and could push some amazing graphics especially at 1080P. I think the real problem is lack of interest from developers. Which is really a shame.

6. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Picture in Picture.
    More options for live streaming of subscribed channels in the TV app.
    A dedicated Audiobooks app
    A Home app
    Some type of more sophisticated system wide Now Playing so I can see what’s playing on all my devices from all my devices and transfer between them seamlessly (maybe airplay 2 will be the start of this?)
    A clock app would be nice so I could use my TV as an alarm in the morning...it would be cool if it could switch on a news station in the TV app
    (And...Not so much tvOS as the Apple TV itself, but just gonna say, I wish Apple would give us an option for a white remote. I am sick of always losing my remote in plain sight on my black couch!) :rolleyes:

7. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Plenty of "Cases" for Siri Remotes. They come in all colors.

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

9. tyke65 macrumors member

Just wish that when I waken my ATV4 it would go to where i left it. Failing that, when I select TV shows or Movies it would go to TV Shows or Movies, not into Recently Added, making me make three of four selections on the remote to get to where I want to be.

Or is there a way I haven't found?

10. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Lossless audio on iTunes films would make iTunes the ultimate and pretty much next generation for downloads/streaming.

I find the ATV 4K remotes trackpad rather laggy and crappy which is crazy as Apple makes the best trackpads on their MacBooks so i'd like Apple to redesign the remote. So maybe TVOS12 will sort that :)

I've never played a video game ever, so i'm not bothered about it's gaming capabilities.

Other than that with it's amazing frame rate match and DOLBY VISION, it's pretty perfect!

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

-Aggregate all the live streaming content in tv app.

-PIP
    -multiple accounts

12. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yup, this. You said it better than I could. This would be ideal.

13. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

Ditto. But, it will be a cold day in hell before that happens.

14. JeffPerrin macrumors regular

JeffPerrin

+1

Yes - I like the sound of this! (no pun intended :p)

Needless to say, the lossless option should be extended towards :apple:Music as well!

15. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I get the impression that Apple is pretty desparate to succeed in the TV space. They've ignored criticism of previous models (lack of 24 Hz playback etc) but with the 4K, they added in the HDR/frame rate matching after the device was universally criticised in reviews and came out to say that Atmos was coming. With Atmos, I get the feeling that this statement came before they understood how they were going to achieve it. They will either have to find a way to preserve the Atmos meta-data in the stream and re-encode it on device, or completely change how the audio system works... Sounds like something that's not going to happen overnight, so likely will appear in TvOS 12.

16. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

- more family friendly, such as profiles/accounts, especially for gaming and the TV app, which is pointless for families.

- safari

- less bugs

- pick and choose the screen savers.

17. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Better categorization/searching for content you own when you have a large iTunes movie library.