tvOS 13 Upgrade Problems re: Apple ID Settings

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I installed the upgrade to tvOS 13 without fanfare BUT I ran into a problem with the SETTINGS / USER AND ACCOUNTS / UPDATE APPLE ID SETTINGS menu item ("Menu Item").

This Menu Item has a red notification badge which when pressed read "This AppleTV needs to be authorized to join your Home. It will check with a trusted iOS device to proceed".

When I press the CONTINUE button I am asked to 1. Unock my iPhone 2. Turn in Bluetooth and 3. Hold it close to the Apple TV.

When I do this I am asked to enter the code that appears on the Apple TV. I then get -- on my phone -- a screen which reads "Set up AirPlay and HomeKit on this Apple TV." (see image 1 attached hereto) which after a few seconds is replaced by a screen whcih reads "AirPlay 2 is Ready". (see image 2 attached hereto).

With that I thought that everything worked properly BUT in the Menu Item the red badge continues to appear -- it did not go away. In addition, I have this same problem on ALL THREE of my Apple TVs.

Would appreciate any and all advice / input as to ho best to solve this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

shankar2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I came here to report the same problem. Obviously it's a bug in new 13.0 apple tv software. The red circles don't go away even after following same procedure. BTW do you have separate icloud / store accounts? I do.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I came here to report the same problem. Obviously it's a bug in new 13.0 apple tv software. The red circles don't go away even after following same procedure.
Good and bad. Good that I am not the only person. Bad that it exists. One would think that something so basic would have been identified during beta testing.

BTW do you have separate icloud / store accounts? I do.
I do not. I use the same AppleID for both icloud and the app stores.

PilotC150

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I have the same problem. I also figured out that if I tried to connect more than once it wouldn't work the second time until locked and unlocked my phone. Once I did that, I was able to "connect" again, but the alert still wouldn't go away, so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I have the same problem. I also figured out that if I tried to connect more than once it wouldn't work the second time until locked and unlocked my phone. Once I did that, I was able to "connect" again, but the alert still wouldn't go away, so I have no idea whether it actually worked or not.
Same situation here...

Boesewicht

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
I experienced the same yesterday. I think, what fixed it, was to open the Home app on the phone. There ws a message like "blah blah using your account" or something.
Updating my 2nd ATV worked flawlessly afterwards.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Same here
Good to know that I am NOT the only one!

I experienced the same yesterday. I think, what fixed it, was to open the Home app on the phone. There ws a message like "blah blah using your account" or something.
Hmmm, I tried that and unfortunately it did not work for me! the red badge is still there. Hopefully Apple will fix this!

JoshuaMoraski

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2018
Schenectady, New York
This happened to me as well, yesterday! I reset the AppleTV 4K and updated to the latest OS. This solved it for me but did take some time. Two of my other AppleTV’s worked fine, so it must be a hit or miss problem.

shankar2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Yes this fix above worked for me! There are two issues. After upgrading to 13.1 ios iphone and 13.1 apple tv, one has to first open the HOME app in iphone and set it up correctly (adding to icloud etc.).

Once home app is fixed then first issue is to fix the first home in the apple tv which will work after setting the tv again.

Second is setup apple id then the iphone opens the apple id setup for confirming apple id password.

Well both red signs disappeared after the above actions. Good luck!

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
The fix that worked for me is posted here

I hope this link helps others as well.

PS. If there is an actual need to setup the HOME app including adding to iCloud then Apple should have added this to the setup process because it is neither intuitive of obvious...

Edd70

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2018

PS. If there is an actual need to setup the HOME app including adding to iCloud then Apple should have added this to the setup process because it is neither intuitive of obvious...
Thanks, I had this problem on my 4th gen and the fix worked.

katbel

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009

Thanks! One problems solved...
BTW I didn't update the tvOS and I was very careful not to update to 13 because I read all the issues
but suddenly , after starting it , it was updating :mad: even if it's not on auto update.