Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfnode

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
Unsure if this has been discussed already, however here goes.

I have movies in three iTunes Store regions accessible via the Movies app (which I assume Apple will soon be deprecating and only surfacing movies up through the TV app?).

Prior to tvOS 17 I was simply able to switch to a different profile and the movies selection would change on the Movies app due to the region of that account.

The new experience it seems is that you now have to sign out of the 'current' account that is used to access the apps, movies, tv etc in my region and then sign into another account to view it's content from another region.

Could anyone clarify whether this is intentional and a changed feature or whether I am doing something incorrect / not following the right process as it seems each user account/profile can only be used on one geographical location/region at a time, rather than one for the UK, another for the US and another for CA.

Thanks!

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Just installed tvOS 17 and no issues here, you are selecting the profile menu of the control centre?

Reactions: Audit13

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
You’re also able to switch profiles within the atv app using the side bar.
Neither way has prompted me to login again to my US or UK accounts when switching between the two.

davenunes

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
The issue here is that I have a PT and a US account. The default user is from the PT account and now when I change from the PT to the US account related profile, the store remains the PT one and I can't access my US account library.

Reactions: gertgerman

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
The issue here is that I have a PT and a US account. The default user is from the PT account and now when I change from the PT to the US account related profile, the store remains the PT one and I can't access my US account library.
Force close the app down then do a restart of the Apple TV.

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
I just signed up here as I am having the exact same issue. I am based in Germany and my main iTunes account is a DE account. I also have US and TUR accounts that I switch to for movies etc.

Since tvOS 17 I am having the same issue. When I switch from one account to the other, the store remains on the country from the previous account. I don’t need to sign out and back into the account completely. I found out that inputting the password for the relevant account anywhere will cause it to switch so now when I change from DE to US I go to the user profile in settings and choose the option subscriptions to show any active subscriptions which prompts me to enter the password. Once it shows me that I have no subscriptions, I can access my US library as normal.

I have also tried completely resetting the Apple TV and setting up as now but the issue remains. Very annoying as I know no one else who has this issue and have no idea what could be causing it.

Reactions: mic64

mic64

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Same as gertgerman, I just signed up to reply here because I am having the same issue. Before tvOS 17.2, I usually view movies in iTunes Movies app. After switching Apple TV profiles linked with different regions, the iTunes Movies app always showed the corresponding iTunes store content (e.g. US profile shows US iTunes store, UK profile shows UK iTunes store, etc.), and showed all the purchased items in each region in library correctly.

After 17.2, since we're forced to use the new integrated Apple TV app, I found that switching profiles doesn't always change the Apple TV store to the region that the active profile belongs to, and this also causes some items in the library of your active profile/account not showing up correctly. For example, I have two profiles on Apple TV, one linked to US iTunes and the other one to UK. If I bought a movie in UK store that doesn't share ID in the US store (this matters), after switching from the US profile to the UK one, sometimes Apple TV app still shows US store content, and therefore the movie that I bought in the UK store would not appear, even though the active TV profile is linked to a UK iTunes account.

Not sure if this issue existed in the Apple TV app pre-17.2, but this definitely feels like a bug that Apple needs to fix. The whole idea of getting rid of iTunes is really dumb IMO because having both the hardware and the app named as Apple TV causes so much confusion and does not necessarily simplify things, especially on the media purchase side. As you can see, I had to really carefully chose my words in the paragraph above to explain the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: davenunes

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
Not sure if this issue existed in the Apple TV app pre-17.2, but this definitely feels like a bug that Apple needs to fix. The whole idea of getting rid of iTunes is really dumb IMO because having both the hardware and the app named as Apple TV causes so much confusion and does not necessarily simplify things, especially on the media purchase side. As you can see, I had to really carefully chose my words in the paragraph above to explain the issue.

The issue was definitely around before tvOS 17.2. I’ve had the issue since 4th August this year when I updated to tvOS 17 beta 2. I’ve done all subsequent beta updates since and the issue has remained. Even when updating to a non beta version, I still have the issue.

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
What’s strange is, it doesn’t seem to affect all profiles all of the time. I have been using my US profile the past few days and today my girlfriend switched to her profile which is German and it was stuck on the US store. She doesn’t have any purchases but the continue watching row shows her shows as linked to the US providers instead of the German providers. However, when I switched from her profile to my German profile, it switched correctly. The store was the German store and all my purchased content was correct as were the linked apps. Switching back to her profile is still showing hers as a US one. Makes no sense at all.

• Wow

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I have iTunes stores accounts from multiple countries and yesterday was having this same exact issue with the French store. I’m still in tvOS 17.1 by the way. To fix the store not updating to the user profile/country I removed that user from the Apple TV and added that back in.

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
I have iTunes stores accounts from multiple countries and yesterday was having this same exact issue with the French store. I’m still in tvOS 17.1 by the way. To fix the store not updating to the user profile/country I removed that user from the Apple TV and added that back in.
That will work for a day or so but you’ll probably find the issue will come back. I’ve done the same myself multiple times and even completely reset the Apple TV but the issue persists.

davenunes

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
That will work for a day or so but you’ll probably find the issue will come back. I’ve done the same myself multiple times and even completely reset the Apple TV but the issue persists.
I also tried this, but the issue persists as well.

gertgerman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2023
Germany
Has anyone reported this issue to Apple? Seems to not be a common problem and I can’t find anything about it on the Apple support forums. I’m wondering if we’re all waiting for a fix for a problem they’re not aware of

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.