tvOS 9.2 finally groups seasons together

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by eliehass, Mar 21, 2016.

1. eliehass macrumors regular

This has been a pet peeve of mine ever since I moved away from the original silver AppleTV. It was frustrating to have to scroll through every season of a show, especially since many shows have a lot of seasons.

In tvOS 9.2 Apple finally reverted back to only showing the series name, and showing the seasons once you drill into the series.

It may seem small, but its actually my favorite feature in the update :)

Edit: Another tidbit I just noticed, when you are watching shows from you library, the AppleTV now remembers where you are if you leave the computers app and then return. Previously the new AppleTV always reset when you left the app. That was another pet peeve of mine.

2. jdag macrumors 6502a

WOW! Finally! It is small, but a very very welcome improvement.

3. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

Unless I am missing something (and I hope I am) you still have to scroll through every episode for every season you've purchased after drilling down into the series. Its a real pain to scroll through 10 seasons of a shows just to get to the most recent episodes. If you click on the more on iTunes button on the series splash screen then you can select a specific season first and then drill into its episodes however that doesn't work for family share accounts that were not the original purchaser (they get the buy this episode instead of play button).

4. DTrigger05 macrumors newbie

You don't have to scroll through every episode. Once you click the show, you get a list of seasons sorted numerically, inversely. Which is to say, the latest season on top, the oldest season on the bottom. This seems to be based on the album titles, wherein each episode in a season should have the album listed as "(Show), Season (#)." That said, I'm still having issues with some shows...such as The Simpsons, which lists every season in correct numerical order, except for 8, which remains at the top of the list no matter what changes I try to make.

5. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

You might want to open a Season 8 show and another season's show (that sorts correctly) in Subler. Compare the 2, and make sure all the TV fields are entered the same (except for the numbers). Like one might say "Simpsons, Season 8", while the other says "The Simpsons, Season #". If that is all good, try deleting the entries in iTunes (not the actual files), and re-import them.

HTH

6. jdag macrumors 6502a

Yup...good advice.

Also, you can look at the details of the files in Season 8 in iTunes by selecting an episode, right click and select Get Info, then select the Sorting tab.

My bet is that there is some minor discrepancy with at least 1, but probably all, of your episodes in Season 8.

7. DTrigger05 macrumors newbie

I have checked everything available within iTunes (given how much they've limited the "get info" screen in the latest updates of iTunes, it's surprisingly difficult). Everything that should match between seasons does indeed match. If there is a discrepancy, it is incredibly minor - checking and rechecking many times does not yield any obvious results. I have not used Subler (I usually process through iFlicks 2), but that (and re-importing) will be my next steps.

The funny thing is these issues also appear in shows purchased through iTunes - though none I've noticed in my library yet. My father purchases all the Big Bang Theory seasons, and it has issues abound with the new sorting.

8. jdag macrumors 6502a

Maybe there is some software bug, then. I haven't looked closely at my listings to see if I have any sorting errors.

Side note: I agree that the iTunes Get Info screen is not nearly as useful as in the past.

9. macseven77 macrumors newbie

macseven77

I am having the same issues, with shows I have purchased from iTunes and my own collection. I have reviewed and reviewed and can't figure out if I made an error with tags or something but can't find anything. Must be a bug and one I hope they fix soon... Drives me crazy when my library is out of order :)

10. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Just a thought...

There is a free app that may make things quicker. It's called MetaX.

It let's you do batch edits, but in this case, you can see if everthing is the same across multiple files (however, I don't know how it reacts to iTunes purchases).

How I'd use it is drop a TV season worth of files (be aware that it hasn't been updated in awhile, so it's slow). Then check the entries. If all the files have the same text (ie. the show title) it will show it. If even one is different, I believe it'll be blank or show a '-'. That way you can quickly see if the fields needed for sorting are all the same.

Now you can use it to change all the files at once, but bewarned, some people have had problems with it's output, but you can at least find the offending files and change them in the app of your choice.

I hope this helps. Let me know if explanation needs refining. ;-)

11. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I've had this with season 4 and 5 of Rizzoli & Isles. A single episode of season 4 would appear by itself at the "Season" level, and season 5 was split into 2. I checked the tags, and it was because some had an Album Artist tag on the Detail page. What was more annoying, is that I couldn't add the tag to those that didn't have it ( according to ab Apple KB article, there should be the option to add tag, but I couldn't find it ). I ended up deleting both seasons, and re-downloading them from the Store, and now they all have them.

I'll have to go and check other tv series, but it looks like seasons with unplayed episodes appear at the top....?

12. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

13. DTrigger05 macrumors newbie

It does not work with movies, but you can use the "sort as" fields to have sequels listed in the correct order.