tvOS 9.2 updates Siri remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

2. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Can't wait to relearn Siri remote actions on a variety of apps :)

3. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

There is nothing to learn other than press touchpad before scrubbing forward or backward

4. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

I think you have to pause before scrubbing forward/backwards

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Sort of... The tvOS update itself changes the touchpad so that it doesn't pause and go into scrub-mode just by touching it, now you pause first and then you can scrub -- nice change. The Siri Remote firmware update improves motion detection functionality.

The Siri Remote firmware update is attempted once every 6 hours when the ATV is not in use. There's also a method to force the Remote update, but I haven't been able to get that to work. Not sure about the 6 hour thing, mine didn't update overnight -- betas will be betas o_O

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

This is an awesome fix... I'm glad to see Apple quickly addressing issues with the ATV4... They still have a few to address.

- ability to search all iTunes purchases using Siri
    - the home sharing app needs a complete redesign.... They should take a look at plex
    - true universal search... They should have a search API where you can say, for example "Siri search plex for rush hour"
    - some sort of system for picking shows up on other devices... Handoff, recently played...
    -universal watch/wish list
    - home kit.

7. Cordorb macrumors member

Do you know the new firmware number in the remote.

I made a note somewhere of the Apple TV firmware but forgot to write down the remote version.

8. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Once the update is complete, the version number in Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote will read 0x0245.

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

There was also a note that said if you used OTA, the manual update process for the remote may not work for 24 hours

10. aide199 macrumors member

How do I update the Siri Remote firmware???

Thanks in advance

11. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

According to the release notes, you navigate to: Settings | Remotes and Devices | Remote and press the Pause/Play button 4 times to initiate the firmware update to the remote. It's part of the tvOS beta, you can't update the remote's firmware in any release versions of tvOS -- though I have the beta installed and it won't update. The release Siri Remote firmware version is 0x0241, the beta version is 0x0245.

12. aide199 macrumors member

Has anyone managed to update the Siri Remote?? I've done as stated but my remote is still on firmware version 0x0241

Thanks in advance