I CAN'T until November 25 :Devs,
Which of you has installed the tvOS GM? What can you tell us about the final OS version?
I went to the Apple Store and they helped me upgrade the software to the release edition.I CAN'T until November 25 :
1) Apple hasn't included a USB-C to A cable in the second wave of free Apple TVs and mine won't arrive before November 25 from Amazon (I was looking for something durable - which means USB 3.1 C to A, and they were all out of stock two weeks ago when I ordered it - only had USB 2).
2) Choosing USB-C over lightning is beyond me, because every box comes with a lightning cable, and the connector is very similar (I have mistaken the input for a lightning at first).
3) And they won't allow OTA updating to the GM.
And I am a real dev, but TestFlight has three major flaws that prevent me from accurately testing my app at the moment :
1) Most importantly - TestFlight got removed from my AppleTV as of today. I need to download it through the App Store.
2) Apple takes a day to review beta apps.
3) My devices have never been able to install beta apps (Error message is "Cannot install the app at that time", has shown for the last 3 months at least, for different certificates and different builds and different versions of my game).
At least my unit was free (which means to some of the forum-ers that I shouldn't be able to write such post). But as a developer who received the kit two weeks ago, it's not like they've helped me much.
Now, the good side of the medal is :
If a lot of people are stuck in my situation, the App Store as you see it today is absolutely NOTHING. A lot of cool apps have been delayed, but will be released within the end of the year. A LOT.
Update : Nope.I went to the Apple Store and they helped me upgrade the software to the release edition.
Chicago store on Michigan Ave. had it. Check eBay. Most sellers have delivery date from nov 19-dec10. I saw a local us seller with delivery by nov 5th. It was $4.95So the guy at the Apple Store ended up telling me that if he brought me the cable, I could do it myself and then give him back the cable, which I immediately accepted.
As I was downloading the tvOS GM release, he was searching for a cable in vain. They don't have any.
I did 5 additional stores tonight, including Koodo, Virgin Mobile, Best Buy Mobile, Videotron, Maddision Electronics, and nobody has it, nobody knows what USB Type C is. People went as far as telling me it didn't exist.... that's frustrating.