tvOS GM is out!

Discussion in 'tvOS Programming' started by 2010mini, Oct 21, 2015.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Devs,

Which of you has installed the tvOS GM? What can you tell us about the final OS version?

2. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

I'm running beta 3 and it says no update found on atv4

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It's not OTA. Also, disable auto updates after installing because it will OTA back to beta.

5. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

I think they fixed that.

6. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

So upgrade it using iTunes by connecting to the Mac? Did anyone try it? What's different?

7. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

Still no app store.

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

No AppStore app or does it just gives a "coming soon" type message?

9. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

No AppStore app at all. Just TestFlight at the moment

10. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Not much has changed from the first beta still. I only notice different pictures and the inclusion of TestFlight. (I went from Beta 1 straight to GM so those changes could've been made earlier)

11. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Will wait for the public release without TestFlight and the App Store app. It will be interesting to see how many apps are available day 1.

12. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

Wonder if the AppStore will just show up like how apps show up in the old apple tv system.

13. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

If you ask Siri to open app store, it doesn't give the same error for trying to open an app that doesn't exist.
    It says something along the lines of "Can't open right now" (don't remember the exact wording).

I think the App store is there, just remotely disabled by Apple.

14. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

With the release on Friday we should get the first public release of tv OS soon. Waiting to upgrade from beta 3.

15. PsykX, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

I CAN'T until November 25 :
    1) Apple hasn't included a USB-C to A cable in the second wave of free Apple TVs and mine won't arrive before November 25 from Amazon (I was looking for something durable - which means USB 3.1 C to A, and they were all out of stock two weeks ago when I ordered it - only had USB 2).
    2) Choosing USB-C over lightning is beyond me, because every box comes with a lightning cable, and the connector is very similar (I have mistaken the input for a lightning at first).
    3) And they won't allow OTA updating to the GM.

And I am a real dev, but TestFlight has three major flaws that prevent me from accurately testing my app at the moment :
    1) Most importantly - TestFlight got removed from my AppleTV as of today. I need to download it through the App Store.
    2) Apple takes a day to review beta apps.
    3) My devices have never been able to install beta apps (Error message is "Cannot install the app at that time", has shown for the last 3 months at least, for different certificates and different builds and different versions of my game).

At least my unit was free (which means to some of the forum-ers that I shouldn't be able to write such post). But as a developer who received the kit two weeks ago, it's not like they've helped me much.

Now, the good side of the medal is :
    If a lot of people are stuck in my situation, the App Store as you see it today is absolutely NOTHING. A lot of cool apps have been delayed, but will be released within the end of the year. A LOT.

16. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

I went to the Apple Store and they helped me upgrade the software to the release edition.

17. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Really? I already need to go to the Apple Store on Saturday for two things... I'll see what they can do.
    Thanks a LOT for the tip bro :)

18. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Update : Nope.

The Apple Store in Carrefour Laval near Montreal tells me the license I accepted when receiving the kit doesn't allow for OS upgrades in stores. And they don't sell these cables.

19. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

So the guy at the Apple Store ended up telling me that if he brought me the cable, I could do it myself and then give him back the cable, which I immediately accepted.

As I was downloading the tvOS GM release, he was searching for a cable in vain. They don't have any.

I did 5 additional stores tonight, including Koodo, Virgin Mobile, Best Buy Mobile, Videotron, Maddision Electronics, and nobody has it, nobody knows what USB Type C is. People went as far as telling me it didn't exist.... that's frustrating.

20. lukasm macrumors newbie

For anyone in Australia with the no USB C cable upgrade problem: JB hifi are selling belkin cables in store for $28. So I guess we got $29 Apple TV units in the end, still a good deal

21. guychicago macrumors 6502

guychicago

Chicago store on Michigan Ave. had it. Check eBay. Most sellers have delivery date from nov 19-dec10. I saw a local us seller with delivery by nov 5th. It was $4.95

22. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I picked one up at Microcenter in Woodridge, IL last night. It's a welkin A to C and it was expensive. $40. SO, get it online if you can wait. If not, they also have an A to C adapter, and you'll beed an A to A cable.