TWC TV for Roku Updated with On Demand

otisg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Anyone else really happy that the TWC TV app for Roku was updated with On Demand?

Finally one big step forward, in my opinion. Now I just hope Apple and TWC are working out something really big for next year. A TWC TV app for Apple TV would be great and there has been chatter about this for quite some time now...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Indeed. I got tired of waiting and finally picked up a Roku 2 using some Best Buy rewards certificates that were about to go to waste, primarily for the Time Warner updates. It's not perfect, but I got tired of waiting for Apple.

guitarguy316

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2010
there was supposed to be some announcement last week per TWC CEO...is this Roku update the announcement?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I don't think so, as there was no formal announcement other than that there would be an announcement.

Still holding my breath that something comes out soon.

otisg

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
I have a Roku 3 and an Apple TV on two different TVs and bought the Roku purely for the TWC TV app so I wouldn't need another cable box. I have been very satisfied with the power and content offerings of this box, but the design of the interface is lacking compared to Apple TV and inconsistent between apps. I believe Apple will be the one to revolutionize TV, however, and I hope whatever their strategy is (Steve Jobs cracked it, you know) works soon.

----------

Also, I can't tell you how many times I've wished the Roku had an AirPlay equivalent - this is a big deal.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I agree completely. On the one hand, I think Apple's restrictive policies are forcing them to move too slowly in this space. On the other hand, the interface of the Roku is truly awful.

The fact that you can search across the various services on the Roku is a big win though.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
They won't revolutionize anything with the mess they are building now. We should be their best customer with 3 AppleTV's in the house. The reality is its impossible to manage them. Each one requires an onerous log in process for EVERY app, and you can get logged out for any number of reasons. It's a mess.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
They won't revolutionize anything with the mess they are building now. We should be their best customer with 3 AppleTV's in the house. The reality is its impossible to manage them. Each one requires an onerous log in process for EVERY app, and you can get logged out for any number of reasons. It's a mess.
I am with you 100%. They really need an iCloud setup for all of the logins. Also, need a Favorites Play List for all of the in App Lists. Take the My Lists in Netflix and apply to all of your Apps. Add central search for all of the Apps (I think Roku is doing this to some extent). Many many more changes are needed to really revolutionize the TV experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.