TWC Wideband vs Verizon FIOS

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AFPoster, Mar 23, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Time Warner Cable Wideband is 50mbps Down and 6mbps Up, FIOS is 25mpbs down and 25mbps up (the 50down20up is $144).

Pricing is $79 no contract per month with TWC and $74 for Verizon on a 1 year.

I think looking at what I get with TWC is a no-brainer. Just want to make sure people are also getting good speeds if anyone has either or.

We have 12mbps down 1mbps up with DSL for $49 and we norm get 1-2mbps throughout the day and I can't have that when I work at home, thus the need for an upgrade. Any thoughts?

2. als522877, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

als522877 macrumors newbie

als522877

I dont know what area you're in but where I am (Hudson Valley NY) I have TWC's Wideband ( 50mbps down / 5mbps up) plan and it is VERY STABLE. From time to time I've noticed the speeds are a little bit more. Here's an image of the fastest I've ever got the Wideband to go.

[​IMG]

When I had my slower TWC plan upgraded they sent out a tech who installed a Motorola SurfBoard SBG6580 & it has never had any problems. As far as I can tell all of TWC's Wideband modems are all-in-one modem/wifi-routers. If you call & ask for Level 3 support they can put it into bridge mode for you if you. The tech they send out can't do it. I have never had any random outages or drops in the connection.

And the one huge plus... NO BANDWIDTH CAP!!! (as of typing this post.)

I'm averaging between 200-400GB (Total for Down & Up links) of usage a month (I'm using NetUse Traffic Monitor to monitor the WAN port on my AirPort Extreme via SMNP) & they have never sent a letter or called about my usage. My family are heavy users of netflix, iTunes & the rest of the internet.

Hope this information helps!

3. Primejimbo, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

From what I been reading (I need to find this) is most of the cable internet providers have an agreement with Netflex that streaming Netflix won't count against your usage, and as of having worked for TWC, they do have cap, I think it's 250GB.

4. als522877 macrumors newbie

als522877

I know they tried to put a cap in place back in 08-09 in Rochester NY & US Congressman Eric Massa put his foot down back then & it was dropped. I've been reading they're bringing it back as an optional 2GB cap on a plan they call "internet essentials" I know i've defiantly blew past 250GB without any issues. Could this cap you're talking about only be in certain places?

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Great to hear, they install on Monday. I'm in the Carolinas, so hopefully I will get that same performance as you.

They also said that Wideband doesn't drop during peak hours during the day like regular cable does, hoping this is true.

One quick question: If you have an Airport Extreme do you use the 5ghz connection or 2.5ghz?

6. als522877 macrumors newbie

als522877

Yes I have an AirPort Extreme but sadly it's a 2nd Gen where it's either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz not like the newer models where it's simultaneous. I actually have ALL my computers and devices (except for anything mobile) connected via ethernet. I have so many devices i actually have 2, 8 port gigabit switches & an older 5 port 10/100 switch. I'm one of those people who would rather have wired over wireless. But for the wireless devices I have the Airport Extreme set on 2.4Ghz W/ WPA2. I also have an Airport Express I use for AirTunes that is in bridged mode & connects via ethernet to one of my switches & sends out a 5Ghz WPA2 signal.

I did set up a 4th Gen Airport Extreme (current gen of the Extreme when writing this is at 5th Gen) for someone who has a large house. They have Optimum Online's 50/8 mbps plan & over wifi to the farthest point in their house their iMac gets about 30-48mbps down and 5-8mbps up over the wifi. Their wired computer next to the router gets the full 50/8 all the time.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

You're very fortunate you have a choice. Where I live, I can't get FiOS, so it's TWC for me. I have the Wideband plan and I do get pretty close to full speed at non-peak hours, but downloads can drop down to about 20Mbps at 8pm on a weeknight. That, and my connection has not been 100% stable. I need to try replacing my splitter and the short coax cable that goes between the splitter and my modem.

I too have the Motorola 6580, running in bridge mode with my dual radio Airport Extreme managing the Internet connection and WiFi network.