iPhone tweak to recover space lost to 'other'

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twisted-pixel, Jan 29, 2015.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

I had to re-sync my phone yesterday as I had lost some music and wanted to get it back. However, when it had finished I have 16GB of space used by "other"...16GB!!

I thought I remembered seeing a tool that helped recover this space. I could do a restore but that would mean going to 8.1.3 and losing JB (although assuming 8.1.2 is still being signed I *could* do that but don't really want to)

I did a search but the word 'other' is pretty popular and din't reveal any results.

so..anyone remember the tool?

2. iParis, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hmm.. I've never heard of a tool like that. A couple times my 6 starts randomly deleting it's own music (no idea why) if I sync it a specific way, and it'll put it all as other. So I end up with like 80GB of other and end up having to restore. Considering the recent release of 8.1.3, I'm really hoping it doesn't happen again.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It's called iCleaner. I have it and love it :)

4. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

iCleaner will not help you recover all of your 'other' space, a tiny bit at best. I had 19gb of 'other' and the only thing that worked was a full restore and starting from scratch.

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I think some apps like Good Player's data is classified as "Other" ... might be why it's so high.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Exactly my problem. If iCleaner worked to clear up other, I would have not had to restore to get rid of my muisc that was randomly alocated as "other."

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

did you enable itunes match AFTER synching music?