Tweak to run a specified app when phone is plugged in?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rrandyy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I've been on the lookout for a good AirPlay enabled alarm clock, but have not found one. I mainly want to stream podcasts to the radio at night from my ipad. In the meantime, I use my iPhone as the AirPlay receiver, using airserver, docked in my current alarm radio. This works well, except I have to remember to start the airserver app every night.

I found an app called "pluggedin" which actually does what I'm looking for. It starts the airserver app when I dock the phone. However, the phone has to be *unlocked* for it to work. But if I remember to unlock, then I can remember to start the airserver app too...

Are there any other alternative tweaks or suggestions to get this working in a more automated fashion? The other option I've considered is buying an airport express and plugging it into the aux of my radio, but this seems like an unnecessary $100 that I could put toward an AirPlay radio in the future.

2. eleven7 macrumors regular

If no-one knows of an app, you could email the pluggedin developer and ask if it's possible to add that functionality to their next update, if it's just a case of adding a few lines of code you might be in luck :)

3. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

iScheduler can launch apps at pre-set times. Not what you're asking for as far as launching when plugged in, but might help. I use it and love it. Wake up to SiriusXM every morning at 6AM.

4. moka macrumors 6502a

5. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Moka, can you provide a link that shows how this works in action menu? I haven't been able to find anything. It seems like action menu is more for copy/paste enhancement.

6. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

After more research, i found that Activator has the same functionality, but also does not work when the phone is locked. It may be a system limitation. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears :)

7. moka macrumors 6502a

sorry meant activator, must have mixed both up..