Tweak to save word docs ON the IPAD itself? Or an SD?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Songbird99, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Songbird99 macrumors newbie

So I did the Absinthe jailbreak, went great. Now I need to figure out what apps to get to make my ipad do my bidding. For my work, I need to be able to upload .doc documents and jpg files to the internet, and though I'll mostly use my computer, I'd like to have the ability to do it via iPad when necessary.

To do this, I really, really need a way to save word docs ON my iPad, not use dropbox, etc. I thought a possible alternative would be using the camera connector to connect an SD card, and save the file onto the SD card, then upload it to the web from the SD card using Safari Upload Enabler and iFile, which I already have. The problem is, I don't see a way to save the Pages file onto the SD card.

I even tried saving the word doc to iTunes, but when I went to upload it, I couldn't find the file. It might have been in there, but all I got was a tiny window and a long list of file folders that didn't seem to have my document in them.

There must be an app or a tweak out there to help me, but I can't seem to find it. How is it that there are a ton of apps to customize your springboard, etc., but no one had bothered to create a tweak that allows us to save files onto the iPad--or at least an SD card via the camera connection?? It's got to be the most often-requested jailbreak tweak ever!

2. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

I left this In your other thread but here goes again. OnLive Desktop is a great app for docs. It uses all of Microsoft tools and allows you to sync with word files from your desktop. Only thing is you must be connected to wifi or have 3G. It works great for me!

3. Songbird99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Munchkinsdad,

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound like it will do exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that will function independently from another computer. Ideally, I'd like the files saved on my ipad...second choice, saved on an SD card that I can plug into the ipad w/ the camera connector kit...third choice, use an online program to create, edit, and save the document I need (but only if I can somehow access that document to upload the document to a website.

It sounds like you're saying OnLive Desktop is allowing the ipad to access my desktop or laptop computer and extract files from there. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

OnLive does sound like a helpful program, just not for this particular task.

4. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

Actually it does function independently on its own server. The files may not Be "in" your iPad but on your own personal desktop server. It's free last I knew. Test it out. Any of your existing docs can be moved there and edited or even new ones can be created. And they stay there.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

With iFile you can go in and move the doc in and out of Dropbox or the SD card or whatever, to whatever directory on your iPad you want.

6. Songbird99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have iFile, and I was able to find my SD card when I had it plugged into the camera adapter, which was plugged into the iPad, but how do I get the file into Dropbox?

The only options I saw was email the document, print it, share via iwork.com, send to itunes (which I did, and could NOT find it again when trying to use iFile), copy to iDik, and copy to WebDAV. No Dropbox.

I did find a temporary workaround, though. I downloaded iCab browser (Apple app store), and Browser Changer (Cydia app store), then emailed the document to myself and downloaded it via iCab, then I used iCab to upload it to the websites. It worked, and the file looked okay. But if anyone has an easier/better suggestion, I'm open to it. I really wish I could save stuff like I do with Word...by creating a documents folder. But this email/iCab solution is good enough for now, I guess.

7. Songbird99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I still can't save my documents on my iPad directly yet, but I did find a solution. iCab browser lets you download and upload, and I already had iFile, so when I save a file, I email it to myself. Then I go to my email account, open that email, download the attachment, and it seems to stay saved that way in my downloads. Then when I want to upload it, I just go choose that downloaded document. It's working so far. I also downloaded a Cydia tweak that let me choose iCab to be my default browser, so Safari wouldn't cause me any problems.

The Safari Upload Enabler was very glitchy, and wasn't working right. Don't bother with it.

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Copy the file, go to your Dropbox directory, and paste the file. (Hit the edit button in the top right, select the file, and hit the clipboard icon to copy.)

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

How about Goodreader from the app store it lets you do all of that and even lets you use dropbox too if you like.

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

CloudOn is pretty sweet. it does not store the file directly on the ipad but you link up to your dropbox. Its free and its the full desktop version of Word, Excel, Powerpoint