"Tweaked" 5.0.1 for iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theturtle, Dec 15, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, in a pickle here.

my 4s has extremely loose volume keys and the home button is a tad bit wiggly. Im 100% sure that apple will give me a replacement but its something i could live with and don't really care about. The issue at hand is the fact that im currently on 5.0.1. I know for sure (friend got his swapped yesterday) that the refurbs at the store are 5.0. My question is, does ANYBODY have an idea whether or not it was a good idea updating to 5.0.1 (the tweaked version)? I could get mine replaced tomorrow but the thing is, the iphone i have right now as the extremely "cool" screen. Not warm one bit. I don;t want to give that up if i dont have to but at the same time, i need my 4s to be unlocked. I would hate for musclenerd to say that ONLY 5.0 devices will be able to be unlocked :eek:

Whats your advice?

I have to decide quickly though before apple starts loading up the refurbs with 5.0.1

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt the unlock he's working on is just for the 5.0 bb. and not 5.0.1
    But up to you.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the answer. most likely im going to keep it. i hope im not making a mistake.

btw, could i ask what your baseband is?

mine says 1.0.14. Is that even normal?

4. allaw macrumors member

My b.b. is 1.0.11, I pre-ordered 8 hrs into their pre-release date.

5. baritz macrumors newbie

I replied to your post on the news feed, but here it is again:

"iOS 5.01 (9A405) includes a 4S baseband of 1.0.13
    iOS 5.01 (9A406) includes a 4S baseband of 1.0.14

Neither one of these fixes T-mobile USA service on my factory unlocked iPhone 4S. I've spoken to senior tech advisers at Apple who have only thrown up their hands and suggested that I wait for iOS 5.1, which updates the 4S baseband to 1.2.01+."

I just got a replacement 4S on Dec. 9th, and it came with iOS 5.0.1, so I would think that pretty much all of the replacements/refurbs/repair units will have 5.0.1 at this point. Your local Apple store may be anomalous, but Apple has had a really high turnover with the 4S, so there probably aren't a lot of phones kicking around with 5.0, especially since 5.0.1 has been out since Nov. 10th.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about this too much because the Dev Team typically targets the newest basebands with zero-day exploits. Since 1.2.01 has been released with the 5.1 beta, they are probably going to hold off until 5.1 is publicly released before they announce a new jailbreak/unlock method. As long as the exploit is not accidentally closed by Apple, you should be fine on all basebands 1.2 and below.

Finally, if you are hoping to unlock your 4S and use it with T-Mobile, you may need at least 1.2.01 since there seems to be a number of issues right now on the lower versions. I don't know if it would be worth it to hold on to an outdated baseband for unlock purposes only to not be able to properly use T-Mobile once unlocked.