Tweaked iPad due in September?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eahdawn, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Eahdawn macrumors member

I have my mind set on going to buy an iPad this week, and then I read this;

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/23...closely-follow-next-generation-iphone-launch/

The revamped iPad to include a thinner enclosure, an IGZO display and better heat dissipation. Would these make a difference really? What would an IGZO display do for the iPad? Does the current iPad really get that hot?

What do you guys make of this? Is it worth holding off 2 extra months?

2. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

I would say get an iPad now. I doubt Apple is going to tweak the iPad until 2013

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Why did you start a brand new thread for this?

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

The difference will not be big. If you need/want an iPad now: get it now.

In two month many threads will be started with: should I wait for the new iPad (4th gen) or get one now.

So my suggestion: get it now. It's a nice device as it is.

5. Eahdawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dudes. I'm pretty much set on getting it this week, might as well bite the bullet. It does seem very realistic though. They could add the smaller dock connector and the few tweaks mentioned in the article, but not change any major internals to avoid the current new iPad being obsolete for people who already had bought it. Not that they wouldn't want people spending more money anyway. :)

Personally, I don't see why not.

6. Skika macrumors 68030

If anything maybe just a die shrink of the chip. Will not even be mentioned by Apple. Same as with iPad 2.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

If they change anything, they won't advertise with it. They will only change something if it saves them costs. If they are going to change something, you won't be able to see it from the outside (in other words, they are not going to add a new dock connector or change the thickness).

A next generation, with new features, won't come along until next year.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Also they would certainly do this if they increase their profit margins.

Could drop the die process from 45nm to the 32nm as used in the iPad2 and AppleTV3. Would both reduce power consumption, heat dissipation, and decrease Apple's cost per chip.

They did it silently with the iPad 2 update back in March.

They might also push their new 19pin connector to match up with new iPhone should those rumors pan out. Would help speed adoption.

9. Eahdawn thread starter macrumors member

That sounds very reasonable. What exactly do you mean by "Could drop the die process from 45nm to the 32nm as used in the iPad2"? Would this change the performance of the new iPad, even minimally?

Sorry, dumb guy here. :)

10. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No. Expect nothing new. You won't be able to use any new features and nothing will visually change either - that is IF they change something.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Likely only reduce power consumption, heat dissipation.

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I love the 3rd gen iPad. I would buy now. I imagine any changes wont be massive until next year.

13. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

The revised iPads won't actually hit the store shelves until the holidays....

Apple is taking away the dual backlights and making the device thinner...which seem to be the source of the heating problem....

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

So the new iPad 3 will have light leakage problems like the iPad 2 had? I believe the dual backlighting was meant to solve that problem.

15. orangewall macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I'm reading this topic as I am also planning to buy an iPad 2.
    Difference is, I am going to buy it in the first 2 weeks of september (Because I will be in NYC during that time instead of in belgium).

Will this 'new normal sized ipad' (well, "tweaked" iPad 2) be out in september ?
    If not should I wait ?

If, like someone here said, they would only hit the shelves near the holidays then I'm definitely not waiting.
    Basicly, if they won't be out before october then I'm not waiting i guess...

16. irDigital0l Guest

Probably less consumption so less heat.

----------

There is no tweaked iPad 2...

There might be a tweaked iPad 3 in the fall. It might not even be in the fall. Apple might secretly release the tweaked iPad 3 when they announce the iPad 4th gen in like march next year. (assuming that they do).

17. orangewall macrumors member

I meant the latest iPad version yeah :p i just called it iPad 2, my bad :p "The new iPad" just sounds wierd :p
    And thanks for the info! :) I guess I'm not gonna wait then, I'm just going to buy one when I'm in nyc :)