Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Give me your opinion (especially from those who hate the iPhone 5 design). I made two minor tweaks but I believe made a huge difference. In Pixelmator, I clone stamped the gaps out and I centered the camera. I believe the gaps on this new iPhone design were worst than on iPhone 4/s because they are slightly bigger and the back panel makes them more prominent. But when the gaps are gone, the device just flows. What do you think?

Original to compare:
newiphonerear.png

Attachments

• iPhone5.png
    iPhone5.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 314

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I'm not sure what the point is unless you're on the design team for this unit (which is probably already in production).

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I'm not sure what the point is unless you're on the design team for this unit (which is probably already in production).

Lets say I am, does the changes I made make the phone greatly more desirable, slightly more desirable, or less appealing than the original leaked photo.

Original photo on top, my tweaked photo in the attachment on the bottom.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Lets say I am, does the changes I made make the phone greatly more desirable, slightly more desirable, or less appealing than the original leaked photo.

Original photo on top, my tweaked photo in the attachment on the bottom.

I think your adjustments are great except....

1. I believe the break in the antenna is vital and will get issues without it.

2. where the camera placement is on your redesign is where my fingers sits when playing games etc so the little lens would get all dirty.

Nice try though but you get a c- :D

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I think your adjustments are great except....

1. I believe the break in the antenna is vital and will get issues without it.

2. where the camera placement is on your redesign is where my fingers sits when playing games etc so the little lens would get all dirty.

Nice try though but you get a c- :D

Thanks for your input.

1. Of course, these changes would completely disrupt the engineering side of the phone. But this thread is about design of the device not so much the technical stuff.

2. A person's finger/palm would touch the lens regardless of placement.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Thanks for your input.
2. A person's finger/palm would touch the lens regardless of placement.

No, it would not. I take many photos with my iPhone and my finger on my left hand goes RIGHT ACROSS the top center of the back when I take a photo. It would completely cover the lens on your mock up.

The best placement for the camera lens is at the top left because most people hold it that way.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Wow, I try to get input and people go off on a tangent. Not here to talkabout fingers on camera lens. I am here to talk about the TWO changes I made and how they appeal to the EYES.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Wow, I try to get input and people go off on a tangent. Not here to talkabout fingers on camera lens. I am here to talk about the TWO changes I made and how they appeal to the EYES.

It appears as though you asked for input and people gave you input
You just didn't particularly like the input they gave
You can't assess the way it "looks" without evaluating the impact it has on how it is used

The antenna and lens placement are 2 very important designs that can't just be randomly changed for "looks"

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
OP..."I am here to talk about the TWO changes I made and how they appeal to the EYES".

My opinion, since no one on this green earth knows except Apple knows what it will look like, is that we all wait until late September for the role out, than we will all know, and than we can make our useless rant. Showing this rumor of yours over another that are constantly posted doesn't do any good, other than getting some on this forum all worked up about what they think is good or not, and Apple can careless about the so called enthusiast wants in the next iphone. Its already in the final stages already. So why guess or ask what is pleasing to you or others ? Apple already decided. Its a none issue now... :confused:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Really? Or are you being sarcastic, I have aspergers I can't tell the difference.

Not being sarcastic. The off-center position of the camera not only differentiates it from most other phones (which usually have the camera centered), but also makes it easier to hold and if I'm using the iPhone without a case (whereas my finger would cover the camera if it was centered.

The gaps, which I believe are for the antenna, are also minor details that add character to the phone. Your design makes the phone look too simple, which may not be bad but my preference is towards the model before your changes.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Not being sarcastic. The off-center position of the camera not only differentiates it from most other phones (which usually have the camera centered), but also makes it easier to hold and if I'm using the iPhone without a case (whereas my finger would cover the camera if it was centered.

The gaps, which I believe are for the antenna, are also minor details that add character to the phone. Your design makes the phone look too simple, which may not be bad but my preference is towards the model before your changes.

Thank you. I understand your stands on the camera but your stands on the gaps is interesting. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.