Tweed fungus! Please help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floyde, Nov 30, 2008.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

:eek: Ok, the pictures suck (I really need to upgrade my cellphone). There's not enough contrast to show what I'm about to describe, but my '59 Bassman Reissue (a.k.a. Tweed) amp is developing some nasty fungi. When I play guitar at home I usually do it with computer effects and my studio monitors, so my trusty amp had been covered with its plastic cover for about a month.

How do I clean it without damaging the tweed finish? How do I stop the fungi from growing back? I had actually cleaned it a month ago when it started developing but now it got much worse :(. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I added a picture of a spider in my closet for an increased drama effect:p.

Attached Files:

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

3. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks, where does one get one of those though?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This thread title... I can't get the picture out of my head of crotch rot in elderly gentlemen.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-remove-mold-stains-from-clothing.htm

Also, don't use the plastic cover, use a cloth one so moisture doesn't build up. Get some silica gel sachets to keep the air dry around it.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmmm, you can try the liquids that kill fungus made for boxing or sparring equipment...or hockey equipment,, all of those anti-fungals are usually safe to use on most fabrics...

7. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Ok... someone nominate me for procrastinator of the year 2008. I was going to try BV's suggestion a few days back, but I didn't manage to do it until now :eek:.

I just went for the "mild bleach solution" part. A little clorox seems to cut through tweed fungi like a knife through butter ;). Hopefully it'll prevent it from growing back again. Thanks for the help guys.

8. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

In the future, keep it dry, and if possible, in sunlight

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

No mold / fungi if you have low humidity. So try to regulate that, if possible. (throw a desiccant inside when covering with plastic) -- this should stop it from cultivating in the future.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

If there's fungus on your amp there's fungus in your air. Replace your forced air filter with a HEPA filter asap. They're labeled in purple. Replace your vacuum filter too and clean your whole place, then replace those two filters again. Mold is a serious issue.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Engrish please.

The hepa filter is a great idea.

12. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

another suggestion

you may want to try a dehumidifier, they are not expensive.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The original case for my Bach 36B (a rather old one) has a propensity for growing things on it. That, combined with the fact that it weighs more than the horn, led me to get a ProTec bag for it. A weak solution of bleach + water worked well on cleaning it.

14. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Desiccant is a drying agent. Something like those silica gel bags packed in electronics.