Tweeking/updating/configuring mbp that newbies should know about

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, May 16, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Hey all, I'm now into my 3rd week of being a new macbook pro owner (1st mac ftw!) I was curious after viewing youtube videos of other peoples docks and settings, and everything seemed way fancier then the stock basic icons etc that are on the mbp when first using it.

Are there any tweeks to the system configurations that may enhance performance? Things that long time mac veterans know about that newbies like myself might not know about? Just general performance, anything that may improve standard performance of your mbp a bit? (if there isn't such tweeks, then don't mind my stupidity for asking, i just thought i'd air it out and see what i get)

As for the configuring of the dock etc. what do you more intellectual mac owners do to make your macbook pro screen appearance look fancier then a stock screen?

pretty much i just want to dispose of everything that looks/performs stock and make my whole mac look better and perform a tad bit better!
    :D:apple:

2. newmacnooby macrumors regular

my nooby opinion

i still havent got my mbp but here are some apps ill be installing ass soon as i get it, i have read a looooot and this ones are the ones ill be getting

Performance

-Better touch tool.- a must have for me, it gives you full usage of the trakpad
    -Adium.-msn chat and social network handeling
    -Monolingual.-deletes all unused lenguages (realeases some space)
    -iFreeMem.-frees ram(not free though, but worth getting so i read)
    -smcFanControl.-controls fans
    -Getube.-download videos form youtube
    -MacPilot.-Enables Hidden Features and Optimize Your System(free version and pro)
    -OnyX-Better managing on files,cache ....
    -XSlimmer.- Delates unesesary files on apps and documents and reduces the code size.
    -AppCleaner.-completely eareses the app and all files regarding the app.
    -IceClean.-Mantainance managing.
    -Cafeine.-doesnt lets mbp go to sleep... easily acivated and deactivated for when watching movies and so.
    -AppFresh.-Searches for updates on your instaled apps all at once and automatically installs them.
    -iClip.-copies and stores stuff you might need later, very veeery usefull.
    -VlC.- to wath videos in all formats.
    -Quicksilver.- multi-task launcher.
    -NeoOffice.- Win Odffice look alike, they say its pretty good.

Looks

-GeekyTool.-lets you place widgets on your desktop without using dock
    -LittleIcon.-lets u pimp your icons.
    -TinkerTool.-lets you mod some more stuff on your dock.
    -Magnifique.-Lots of dock and icon mods.
    -CandyBar.-powerfull doc custumazation(not free)

this ones are the ones im thinking on getting if anyone has them all ready , how are they...

Hope it helped you.

3. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Sheesh, that about sums it up ha. How long have you been waiting to buy a mac for?

4. newmacnooby macrumors regular

december, m getting it in july... but i always do my homework before spending my hard earned money hahaha. hope it helps, must of them are free and some of them do the same thing so try diferent ones or read about them on internet.
    tell me how it went.

5. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Geek Tool is what you need if you want to spruce up your desktop. Go to the Picture Gallery section on MacRumors and you will find several threads on Geek Tool and scripts etc. There are some really nice examples.

Cheers :)

6. FangBianMian macrumors member

FangBianMian

Stop using this people. If you want to see how hot your MBP's running just grab the iStat pro.

7. newmacnooby macrumors regular

why is it better?
    i read some good reviews on in...

8. ramzhh macrumors regular

Yep, I usually spend as much time as I can to find out every single thing about what I'm buying, including spending months in forums asking about stuff :) It's not homework, it's a 100 page Dossier about the topic :)

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If you want to speed up the time it takes the MBP to go to sleep when you close the lid, open terminal and use these 2 commands:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

Then do a restart.

Cut the time mine takes to go to sleep from around 10 seconds to about 1-2.

Word of warning though, this turns off hibernate or safe sleep. Current data is copied from the RAM and written on the HDD, so if the battery runs to 0% you can retrieve what info you had open.

Personally I just make sure it won't run out of juice to avoid this as the long sleep times bugged me.

10. newmacnooby macrumors regular

hahaha yeah kind of, really fun so no its no homework i guess. the problem is after over reviewing everything i usually get all pumped up and spend waaay more than i intended to (you know always thinkin "ok its a lillte bit more than i intended to but ill get just WHAT I NEED", while i probably odont hahahaha)...

11. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i looked into liteicon but when it comes to changing the icon it requires your user and admin pw. i remember being told the only way to get "viruses" on your mac is through applications or w/e you install that requires your admin pass. so im just curious on how same liteicon is?

anyone used this and any insight on this matter?

ps. im going to get all my icons via iconfinder.com