'Tweetbot 4' for iOS Gains Support for 3D Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Popular third-party Twitter client Tweetbot is the latest app to be updated with support for the 3D Touch feature on the new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, and it now supports both Quick Actions on the Home screen and Peek and Pop gestures within the app itself.

A hard press on the Tweetbot icon on the Home screen brings up options to create a new tweet, tweet a photo, and view the Activity Tab that was recently added in the fourth version of the app. When a notification is present, there's also an option to reply to a tweet or a direct message from the Home screen Quick Action list.

[​IMG]

Peek gestures, which bring up previews of links, work with embedded tweets, Safari website links, Twitter profiles, and more. A Peek gesture can be initiated in Tweetbot with a hard press, and pressing even harder expands into a Pop gesture, allowing content to be opened from the Peek.

The 3D Touch features in 4.0.1 Tweetbot are available only on the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus, the two devices that support 3D Touch. Other users will not notice any changes in the app, aside from additional language localization in French, Spanish, and Japanese.
    Tweetbot 4 can be purchased from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Update: Just hours after releasing Tweetbot 4.0.1, Tapbots has released Tweetbot 4.0.2. Tweetbot 4.0.2 adds the following features:
    In addition to the above changes, the new version of the app includes a setting to force articles in the Safari viewer to open in Reader Mode if the option is available.

Article Link: 'Tweetbot 4' for iOS Gains Support for 3D Touch

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

4.0.2 came out just now, fixes a critical bug when using 3D Touch in night mode.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I was skeptical of Tweetbot 4 but they fixed pretty much all my issues with save, save for inline GIF support, and Twitter Cards support. Add those and you have an awesome app.

So glad to see 3D Touch added. So few apps support it now.

4. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

hobsgrg

Unfortunately Twitter Cards isn't available in the API available to third parties so only available in the official client

5. joueboy macrumors 65816

Until now I'm still pondering if I really want to get this app. Yesterday when I finally made decision not to get it because no 3D Touch functionaly. Now I started thinking again if I really wanna get it. But this are basically crippled down twitter app due to some api's not available to third party devs. What is really the reason why should I get this or give me a reason not to bother it. Help me out here!

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

4.0.2 adds swipe gesture to dismiss the browser (Safari View Controller) and an option to open in Reader mode.

Tweetoot 4 is turning out to be the showcase of iOS 9 and iPhone 6s.

IMG_8840.PNG

7. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

8. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

hobsgrg

Well there are no ads so that is great and the whole layout is cleaner and the most important thing for me is the timeline sync across devices. Personally the only thing not supported due to api that has been an annoyance to me is there is no ability to send pictures in DM, only receive.

I personally just find using Tweetbot a lot more pleasant experience than the official Twitter client, but personal taste does come into it.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Tweetbot is absolutely amazing. Twitter developers should download and play with this app, and take some notes for improving their own app.

It amazes me how a few guys working on their own can produce an app so far superior to the app Twitter themselves makes, with their dev teams and massive resources. In a sense, the official Twitter app has gone downhill over the years while Tweetbot has gotten better.

And of course, rather than improve their own app, they restrict APIs and tokens to make it harder for superior apps to succeed.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

If you are just a casual user of Twitter, Tweetbot may not be worth $4.99 (soon to be $9.99 once the promo pricing expires).

For me personally, Tweetbot is the most perfectly crafted app on the App Store. There are few bugs and few things don't work the way I want. But I can't help but marvel at all the little details 3 developers at Tapbots sweated. Everything from interface animation physics, settings, and most importantly, how frictionless most of the tasks are.

Tweetbot is just extremely pleasant to use and look at.

It is worth nothing that Tweetbot has been on 2-year paid upgrade cycle and you may be tempted to purchase Tweetbots for Mac to complete the experience. So proceed if and only if you are a heavy user of Twitter.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. haruhiko, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

How did they do that? Why nobody except Tapbots did the swipe back thing for Safari View Controller and the default to reader view?

13. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

I wonder it 3d touch was an IAP for people who've already paid and paid and paid and paid for this app.

14. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I've had TweetBot since Day 1. Best Twitter App and one of the best Apps overall IMO.

15. nutmac macrumors 68040

Tweetbot is using stringCode trick.

16. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Thank you!

17. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Good lord. Shout this from the mountain to every iOS developer using the Safari view controller!

18. 4ubrey macrumors member

4ubrey

They do extensive work on the app and ask to be paid for it, the nerve!!

C'mon dude. It's like $5 who cares

19. 4ubrey macrumors member

4ubrey

This is exactly how they make a better app.

They don't have 50 PMs trying to manage the app into oblivion every day of the week.

3 smart people building and making good decisions.

20. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

With that mentality then we should never complain about app prices, or devs who pull apps from the store. I would've gladly had paid for an upgrade as I love Tweetbot and have it on both iOS and OS X... But to completely pull an app from the store is horrible. Especially when there was hardly any reason for a reskinned version of the app with MINOR added features. I personally won't continue to support that forced payment structure.

21. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

Extensive work... LOL. They never update, so when they do, it's always a major PAID version. $5.00 is nothing. But multiples of same do add up...

22. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

hobsgrg

TweetBot 3 was removed completely in error, it was only supposed to be removed in terms of available to purchase and not removed from peoples purchase history. When they realised the mistake they got it reinstated so it now appears in my purchase history. So although it appeared to be a really horrible move it was actually just a screw up that has now been fixed.

23. WordsmithMR macrumors 6502

WordsmithMR

Well that's good to know. I was not aware of that. Still stand firm on their forced pricing structure, but a little relieved they did it in error and not to screw previous customers over.

24. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Exactly.

Don't. Complain. About. App. Prices.

Seriously.