Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tweetbot 6 designed for the iPhone and the iPad today received a major update, with Tapbots introducing several significant new features that are designed to make the app experience better than ever.

tweetbot-widgets.jpg

There's now a Tweetbot 6 widget that can be added to the Today View or the Home Screen, and it shows the Twitter timeline. A single tweet can be shown in the smallest widget view, but there are also larger options that show more tweets at a glance.

When using the Tweetbot 6 update on iOS devices, there's now support for Handoff, so you can resume what you were doing on one device on another device using the built-in Handoff feature. Handoff does not yet work on the Mac, but support will be added later.

Tweetbot 6 now supports Shortcuts so Tweetbot actions can be used in the shortcuts created on iOS devices, plus on the iPad, multiple Tweetbot windows are now supported for multitasking purposes. There are also additional app icons to choose from.

Tweetbot 6 can be downloaded from the App Store for free, but a subscription costs $5.99 per year or $0.99 per month. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot 6 Gains Support for Timeline Widgets, Multiple Windows on iPad, Shortcuts, Handoff and More

gank41

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve been using Tweetbot for many many years, and it’s always had as much support as what Twitter’s API’s allow. Which is no different than any other 3rd party Twitter app. Having two windows open on iPad is great.

chucker23n1

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2014
Aw, I don’t think any of those features are really for me. Good to see it’s getting improved, though. I was a little worried they were considering abandoning it.

A return of push notifications would be nice, although I’m kind of OK with just using the official app for those, and using Tweetbot for the timeline.

There’s little things I’d like, but nothing massive missing, I guess.

usr0

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2019
They locked down a bit the "read-only mode" of the app, you can't change theme or icon now.

chris4565

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
The only thing that I really don't like about Tweetbot is how comment chains are handled. I think it's so confusing when I have to read the individual posts from bottom to top on my timeline because they're not grouped together like they are in the official app.

hobspain

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I’m still a user of Tweetbot 5. Many of us refused to upgrade to the subscription model of Tweetbot 6. Now things start to not work like videos that before worked. This is kind of suspicious like forcing to upgrade in bad faith. I’m going to try Aviary as per the recommendations here and if it’s good enough I’m going to forget about Tweetbot for good.

sergekills

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Moscow, Russia
Hm. Not sure if I need that (and widgets in general tbh) but gonna test it.
Still in love with Tweetbot even Twitter took away a lot of APIs. No crap on my timeline like ads, likes, chaos and “topic you need to follow”.
Absolutely worth the money they ask for a year.

Reactions: gank41

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I’m still a user of Tweetbot 5. Many of us refused to upgrade to the subscription model of Tweetbot 6. Now things start to not work like videos that before worked. This is kind of suspicious like forcing to upgrade in bad faith. I’m going to try Aviary as per the recommendations here and if it’s good enough I’m going to forget about Tweetbot for good.
Tweetbot 5 came out October 2015 and you can’t expect them to keep maintaining it forever. They aren’t deliberately breaking old versions to force people to upgrade but changes happen elsewhere that would require the app to be updated to keep it working correctly.

psidnell

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
People on MacRumors prefer to buy a software no matter how expensive it is, but refuse to subscribe one no matter how cheap it is. Learn from this, Tapbots!
With OmniFocus they provide a subscription model and a purchase model with hefty discounts for upgrades. I personally love this but it no doubt takes a lot of effort to implement. Having said that, the £5.99 a year for TweetBot is hardly going to break the bank and for something I use every day it seems like good value to me.

Reactions: bassanoclapper

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
With OmniFocus they provide a subscription model and a purchase model with hefty discounts for upgrades. I personally love this but it no doubt takes a lot of effort to implement. Having said that, the £5.99 a year for TweetBot is hardly going to break the bank and for something I use every day it seems like good value to me.
Yes, the price of TweetBot for 1 year is fine if you want no ad and synchronisation.

But the Twitter API make it a little useless for me :
- can't see if a tweet have some answer and how many, have to open it...
- don't group tweet so a little hard to follow some people talking together if there are many other tweet
- can't see poll unless we are doing an action on it... But can't answer to it

Too bad, because I like the filter tool and synchronisation we have with it

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yes, the price of TweetBot for 1 year is fine if you want no ad and synchronisation.

But the Twitter API make it a little useless for me :
- can't see if a tweet have some answer and how many, have to open it...
- don't group tweet so a little hard to follow some people talking together if there are many other tweet
- can't see poll unless we are doing an action on it... But can't answer to it

Too bad, because I like the filter tool and synchronisation we have with it
This is something that only Twitter can change. Their API doesn't offer these features..
I use Tweetbot and the official Twitter app. If Twitter had a no ads subscription, I would probably pay it and stop using Tweetbot, but as it currently is, I prefer to use Tweetbot. No ads in the timeline is great. Also syncing of the timeline position across devices.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
Same there, if Twitter could allow no ads and sync between device, I could pay for it (unless the price is too high).
Until that, we have to use Twitter as it is or another app which is limited but Twitter API. I don't think something will change...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.