Tweetbot: Does it work with iOS 5 Twitter Integration?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mikhailov, May 29, 2012.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I'm thinking of switching just to make a change from the original Twitter client, but I'm reluctant to leave the official Twitter app because it works so well with iOS (and I'm not sure I'm a fan of the Tweetbot logo).

Does Tweetbot work equally as well with iOS 5's Twitter integration?

Most importantly: does it have a landscape mode?

2. Slinkwyde, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

Slinkwyde macrumors regular

There's no landscape support for reading timelines, but there is for typing tweets and viewing web pages if that's what you mean.

I can't remember if I had to manually add my account to Tweetbot or not, but I can tweet from apps with iOS 5. I haven't used the official Twitter client for iOS, but Tweetbot is a great app. I wish there were a Mac client as good.

3. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I wouldn't advise Tweetbot, it looks great but it doesn't show your retweets or favourites, just your mentions. No 3rd party Twitter client I've used does so either, I wonder why.

4. Slinkwyde, May 29, 2012

Could you clarify what you mean by that? Tweetbot has a view for retweets and a view for favorites, but maybe they don't work the way you want? Also, you can swipe to the right on a tweet to see the conversation or swipe to the left to see detail.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have found Tweetbot to be the best client out there after having tried 8 or so. If re-tweets and favorites are so important, turn on email notifications (at twitter.com) or notifications (in Tweetbot) for them.

6. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Hey, what I mean is that you can't seen who retweeted you, or favourited your tweets :)

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can see who retweeted you. Tap the box in the top right corner of the retweet tab. There are three options.

Retweets by Others (Default)
    Retweeted by You
    Your Tweets, Retweeted

8. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder why all of the clients got rid of this. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Sometimes I want to view my timeline in landscape. The official app did this very well until it decided to get rid of it.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am not sure what you mean by integration, but iOS 5 is solely responsible for letting you post tweets from Safari, Photos, Camera, YouTube, and Maps. All official Twitter app (or Tweetbot) does is pull account login information from Settings.app.

10. Slinkwyde, May 29, 2012

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The last screenshot says "Your Tweets" in the header but it's actually "Your Tweets, Retweeted" as mentioned by BaldiMac. Thanks for the tip, BaldiMac!

11. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

So if I have one and not the other it won't make a difference?

12. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

The only possible difference is whether or not the Twitter client automatically pulls in the Twitter account credentials that you gave iOS. I can't remember for sure if Tweetbot does that or not, but I think version 2.0 may have added support for that. If not, you'd simply add your Twitter account manually into Tweetbot. No big deal, and it would remember it after that.

13. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Might be worth the purchase then...just to have a change. I've been on the fence for awhile but I keep hearing good things.

14. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Thank you so much for this tip! I'm going to start using Tweetbot now :)

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Tweetbot does import accounts from the iOS Twitter settings.

16. mms13 macrumors 6502

Tweetbot is the best iOS Twitter client hands down.

17. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

I just wish Tweetbot would show everyone who retweeted you, favourited you and mentioned you in one tab straight away like the Twitter app

18. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

To me, the conversation view is more important. It helps makes sense of replies that appear in a timeline, and you can see what others said in response to them- in one view. Does the official Twitter client have that?