Tweetbot for Mac Released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BaldiMac, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacRetina macrumors member

MacRetina

2. sensorian macrumors member

Exactly, I think the landing zone for a twitter app is more like £2.99 (5$). It's a shame because this is one of the better twitter clients but I'm not paying that.....

3. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

Blame Twitter not Tap Bots. Twitter's new rules limited the number of user tokens that third-party Twitter apps can use so if they had priced it at what they originally intended (which probably was somewhere between $5-$7) they had no chance of making money on this app. By pricing it at $20 they have that chance with the limited number of user tokens they are allowed to use. Expect to see the price go up on other third-party Twitter clients for the same reason. It's ridiculous.

TweetDeck, which is now the official Twitter client, is greatly improved with its latest release, and is free. I would have no qualms using it as my primary Twitter client if there was a way to sync reading position but as far as I can tell there's no way to do that with Tweetmarker, iCloud, or anything else. This is a dealbreaker for me unless I'm missing something?

So either I'm going to go back to the free version of Twitterrific or pony up $20 for Tweetbot.

-PN

4. Gala macrumors regular

I'm still able to use the Tweetbot beta (alpha?) that I downloaded months ago. Everything still seems to be working fine. When should I expect this to stop and I have to buy the $20 program?

Also, how long do you think we'll have before all the tokens are used up. I just read a article on Cult of Mac that once all the tokens are used the app will be removed from the App Store.

5. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

The app store mentality has made people forget that some software isn't the price of a RedBull energy drink. I was paying $30-$40 dollars for games for my C-64 back in the 1980's. If $20 is too much for someone, there are much cheaper alternatives..

I just bought it because of the features. I use Tweetbot on my iPhone and iPad. The iCloud synching of mute filters and tweet position make it worth the money to me. Sure, I personally expected it to be cheaper, but if Twitter is going to ration the number of available tokens, therefeore limiting the number of allowed users, then it makes business sense for TapBots to price the software accordingly. They can only sell X number of copies, and they need to re-coup the development cost and make a profit. Thats business!

My main reason for choosing it over others, such as the very good Osfoora, is keyword muting. Now my twitter stream is almost completely "political BS" free :)

6. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Definitely worth it to me. It's the best Twitter app I've ever used. It's also something I use everyday, so it pays for itself in the long run.

7. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Ouch, that hurt - I just paid the $20. I use it daily on my iPhone though and want the iCloud sync feature. I figure it will pay for itself eventually.

8. Bebel macrumors member

I'd been searching the App Store daily for this so I was happy to finally see it approved. Bought it on site and well worth the purchase price for me. Works beautifully across my rMBP, iPhone, and iPad.

9. Lornaevo macrumors member

Lornaevo

I also think $20 is a bit steep, but you can't argue that tweetbot is the best built twitter client. So I had to pony up for it.

10. c11urk macrumors newbie

$20 is a Major rip off.

Ok maybe the best twitter app out there. but its also 6 times the cost of all the others.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.