Twelve South Announces New PlugBug Duo Travel Accessory for MacBooks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twelve South today announced the launch of the PlugBug Duo, a follow up to the company's popular MacBook travel companion, the PlugBug World.

The New PlugBug Duo, like the PlugBug World, attaches to the MacBook Power Adapter to add a selection of snap-on international plugs for travel purposes along with USB ports for charging additional accessories.

[​IMG]

Twelve South's PlugBug World included a single USB-A port for charging, but the PlugBug Duo adds a second USB-A port for a total of two ports for charging accessories like iPhones, Apple Watches, and iPads.

12W charging speeds are supported, so the PlugBug Duo will charge devices like the iPhone more quickly than the standard power adapter.

[​IMG]

The snap-on plugs that are included with the PlugBug Duo are designed to work in many countries around the world including the UK, the US, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Continental Europe, North America and Japan.

The PlugBug Duo is compatible with MagSafe, MagSafe 2, and USB-C Power Adapters.

[​IMG]

Twelve South's new PlugBug Duo is available for purchase starting today for $49.99 from the Twelve South website.

Article Link: Twelve South Announces New PlugBug Duo Travel Accessory for MacBooks

2. orev macrumors 6502

$50‽‽ Is it really so hard to carry something like this with you?
    [​IMG]

They're $3, smaller than that monstrosity, and far more versatile.

3. groove-agent, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018

groove-agent macrumors 65816

groove-agent

Looks fugly, but an interesting idea. They should have made it white and had it fit better with the adapter.

4. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

It looks like somebody drunk drew a sketch on a napkin and instead of refining it, took the napkin to Shenzhen and looked for the cheapest factory. What a god aweful looking thing, it’s like the brick has acne.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This looks like a great travel accessory. Charge my phone, watch, and laptop or iPad all via one outlet. It's a little expensive, but TwelveSouth makes some great things. Their reputation is well deserved.

6. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

Or just plug your USB devices into your pre-2016 laptop.

7. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, their products are very well made.

8. gevalt macrumors newbie

gevalt

it's a great idea but i agree with others that suggested that they should have done it in white, and that it seems kinda pricey. plug adapter sets can be bought for $10. likewise for dual port USB bricks. $30 more to have it attach to your macbook brick and save 1 plug on the wall seems like a lot.

9. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Exactly! Although the Asian countries I travel through wouldn’t be able to use the 3 prong as you pictured, the Adapters that will work are very cheap. Lieertaly just paid $1.00 for some at ACE hardware in Manila.

10. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

Interesting concept, but way overpriced.

The official Apple World Travel Kit is “only” $29.00, so you are paying $20 for 2 USB chargers??

11. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple sold/shipped a USB-C charger that also had a 1 or 2 of USB-A ports

12. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

I have two of these, one for the office and one in my bag. It’s smaller and can charge pretty much everything. The fact that it has a cord means I can plug it into loose airport/hotel outlets where other people’s adapters fall out. It’s only 60W on the USB-C port but I can still render 4K in FCPX on my 15” MBP 2018 with little effect on the internal battery (and it just charges back up whenever I’m not rendering).

At $35 it’s a steal. I used the savings to buy a USB-C to lightning cable for my iPhone X.

I bring two of these adapters on my filming trips and with two outlets I can charge a laptop, two iPhones, two Sony cameras, two gimbals batteries, and a portable charger overnight!

Speaking of charger, this goes great with a 45W USB-C battery pack...

[USB-IF Certified] USB C Charger,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0712252ZQ?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

ZMI USB PD Backup Battery & Hub for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BD98CM?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

That will wear you computer battery faster.

14. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

The idea is nice, but I really dislike the red colour. A white version would be nice. Also, the fit doesn't seem to be as snug as the older version was.

15. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Its are still covering up 2 outlets in all the promo pictures

16. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

You can charge your phone, but anything thing more powerful like an iPad will take forever and will go negative if you try to use it when you’re charging.

17. JetLaw macrumors regular

JetLaw

It seems like an ugly and expensive solution to an otherwise easy to solve problem. That said, I’m glad it’s on the market - hopefully it will inspire some innovative person or company to create something better.

18. Agent47 macrumors member

I really hope that this time around they use some better quality plastic than the original Plugbug. I have the original and it arrived in a nice presentation box, then you realize the device itself is made out of low density cheap ABS plastic that would be more at home on one of my kids’ cheap toys.

19. fc4090, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

fc4090 macrumors newbie

fc4090

Found these adapters for $12, with two USB charger ports and power socket pass-through. $38 savings. And the color is white :)

Attached Files:

20. dantastic macrumors 6502a

dantastic

Useless thing. For a couple of reasons.

First of all as a travel accessory, the height of it. In most hotel rooms the sockets are mounted just over the desk. In many cases it's difficult to fit a standard apple charger. This adds height making it even more difficult. I have actually staid in rooms where there were no other sockets available and I couldn't actually plug in my laptop. So for travel, big fail.

Second, there are loads of 3rd party USB-A + USB-C chargers available in a smaller package and for less. That will give you an additional charger for the money rather than having to add a dongle to your existing charger.

This is also a better option as you will want a charger with higher output so that you can also power your dock/hub/dongle as the Apple charger is only powerful enough for the laptop itself and most dongles will want something like 10W as well.

So yea, pretty useless thing.

21. sentiblue macrumors regular

Coupling a white adapter with a bright red plug-in... Urrgghhh my eyes hurt!