Twelve South BookArc vs Rain Design mStand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFanUK, Sep 27, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Which of these would you say is better (both for looks and use)?

- Twelve South BookArc
    - Rain Design mStand

I really like the BookArc, but I'm not keen on having to wait 2-3 weeks for it. I have seen it on eBay though.

I know both have different uses, but I won't be using the laptop screen when connected to an external screen (at least not planning on doing so).

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If it's solely for storage, definitely the BookArc.

3. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Really consider the mStand!

Dual screen setup makes my time infront of the computer twice as effective.
    I honestly can't understand how I managed to do anything without a dualscreen setup.

(I don't have a mStand, but somewhat similar stand, and it's great)

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get the mStand. I use mine just to stow away my Book when I'm not using it, that's how cool it is.

6. p3ncil macrumors regular

Mstand.
    I mean, why waste that extra 13/15/17 inch of screen space?

7. vant macrumors 65816

If you care about the longevity of your internals, go for the mstand.

Running your macbook closed increases heat. Also, the macbook's vents would be facing down with that arc setup. Ideally vents should be pointed up. There was a thread not too long ago with complaints about the extra heat with the arc stand.

8. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

9. talkingfuture macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

I am currently designing a range of laptop and computer stands at work. From my research into the market I'd say you definitely want one that lets you keep the laptop open so you have that dual screen setup. Its a great way of using your laptop when you're at your desk.

We are designing and manufacturing ours in the UK but it won't be ready for a month or two.

10. dyn macrumors 68030

That's why a lot of people turn the MacBook upside down so the vent is on top ;) The problem is that a closed MacBook sometimes is not quite as good at dissipating heat than an opened MacBook. I don't think the difference is that big. However I'd go for the mStand since that allows you to use the MacBook screen as an extra screen, that is if you hook the MacBook up to an external monitor. If you don't hook the MacBook up to any external monitor than the mStand is the only option you have.

11. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

sorry for abusing an old thread, but I have the same question :)

tell me, why you prefer mStand (or bookarc)!

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if you want to kind of tuck ur macbook away, than bookarc, but if u want to use the screen, mstand, simple as that. i have the bookarc and its nice.

made a vid on it enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCDUgf_0vU

maybe hit that subscribe button too? :D

13. altecXP macrumors 65816

14. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

nice nice :D

yeah, i like the idea having a second screen, BUT i saw a friend of mine (having no stand or sthg..) using his macbook opened and an external display and i was scared by how much he had to configure once using his mb unplugged from the monitor. He had to move around all the program-windows, toolbars etc for working with them. Same, when he plugs in his monitor...... every time......

are there some workflow-knowing-people, how to avoid such a pain, or are there some tools, which "remember" the state of program arrangement?

Maybe in Lion you can assign "desktops" to displays?

[I'm not a mac owner, but i'm preparing everything for getting one.... ]

15. derickdub macrumors 6502

I have never had a problem with having to configure my workspace when switching to/from an external monitor. OS X remembers the monitor and when I plug it in to my MBP the menu bar and dock will move to the external monitor. This is the way I have it set up, but you could use your MBP screen as your primary workspace if you really wanted to.

As soon as I unplug the monitor all my windows, menu bar, and dock will go back to my MBP screen. There are a few applications (Photoshop CS4 and AutoCAD to name some) that don't resize to my smaller MBP screen as nicely as I would want, but it is nothing too hard to fix. Also, when moving from using the MBP screen as my primary display to the external monitor, any windows open will stay the same size. So if it is maximized on the smaller MBP screen, it will not be maximized to the larger external monitor screen.

This has worked this way since Snow Leopard AFAIK. I wasn't using external monitors as much with Leopard. I also have my external monitor (Dell u2410) hooked up via a mini Displayport to Displayport cable. I also use an application called DoublePane which provides keyboard shortcuts to maximize and standard size window sizes. It can also maximize a window to fill only the left or right half of the screen, which is extremely helpful when working between multiple windows.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've been worried about the heat factor while using my MBP in clamshell mode but whenever I try and use the ACD with the MBP in open configuration, the desktop won't fill the entire screen with "Mirror" enabled. Anyone have any suggestion as to how I can get ACD into fullscreen resolution while having the MBP open?

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have had the mStand for a couple of years with my 17" MBP
    Love it and can't see myself not using it
    I have it with a 23" Apple Cinema Display next to it

18. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I have the BookArc and use it for storage/charging and for Target Disk Mode at my desk with a Mac Pro. Nice bit of hardware that is aesthetically pleasing.