Twelve South Bookarc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quicksilver867, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

Hello all. In light of the recent MBP update rumors, I've begun to get ready for the 15" model I'll be purchasing, whenever that may be. It's for college, and I want it to last into grad school, etc. Anyway, I came across a product called the Bookarc by Twelve South. It's a pretty nice vertical stand for all current Apple laptops. Check it out here: http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/ Anyone own one of these? If so, how is it?

And do you think the MBP will be retaining its current form factor? I need to buy something to keep me from going insane before the MBP update. Thanks:apple:

2. cjrulli macrumors regular

Yes, the MBP will be keeping it's form factor for a few years at least.

That stand is nice, however I'd buy the mStand instead. that one requires your laptop to be closed while the mStand does not and also looks incredible.

Here you go.
    http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand_features.html

And a picture to see it in real life.
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/cyle00/IMG00016-20090928-1430.jpg

3. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! The mStand looks pretty nice - keeping the all-aluminum theme is great. However, I want to have as small a footprint as possible. The only time I'll actually have the machine in the stand is when it's hooked up to an external keyboard/mouse/LCD.

4. cjrulli macrumors regular

Thats the only time I keep mine on the stand as well, its nice though all aluminum theme is great as well as being able to use dual screen with it is a very big plus.

When my MacBook is closed it still looks just as good =)

5. bwh318 macrumors newbie

6. Quicksilver867 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good to me! Anyone got pics? I always like 'real-world' pics as opposed to what you see on product websites.

7. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

The web designer I work with has a BookArc. He keeps it next to his 30" display, keyboard, and mouse. When he's in the office, he puts the MBP into the BookArc, transforming the MBP into a small-footprint desktop. Other than one day when he knocked it over, it seems to have been serving him well.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm wondering about this product too. Your anecdote is useful SecretAsianMan. My worry is about my cat! She's not usually in the office (I keep her out), but if she snuck in could she easily topple my mbp in the Bookarc by brushing up against it? Silly question, but I'm wanting to know how stable these things are.

9. mrklaw macrumors 65816

does the bookarc keep the MBP closed? I've noticed recently than when I store my MBP vertically, hinge at the bottom (I have a belkin storage thingy), it 'pops' open. Don't know if the magnetic clasp is getting weak, or the hinge at the bottom is pushing it open somehow?

10. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

any chance you know of something in between the rain design mstand and the griffin elevator?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/assets/headers/0000/0374/elevator_1.jpg

vs.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand_features.html

i like the minimal material use of the griffin elevator but it doesn't have a lip on the edge to prevent the laptop from falling off like the mstand does. from reviews i've read about the elevator stand, those rubber pads wear down and become slick after a while so your laptop goes "crash!" when you aren't looking.

i wish the mstand wasn't a solid piece of metal where the laptop sits. the less material, the cooler the computer will be. i could always fashion a couple of upward hooks onto the end of each "arm" of the griffin elevator stand, but i'd rather buy a product that was designed properly in the first place..

11. Gerri Shin macrumors member

I've been using the Macessity NX Stand, it's just as good as the bookArc, but it has a little more support around the sides, Plus it comes with a powered USB hub and a space where a WD MyBook External HDD can reside for easy time machine storage. It's ben working perfectly even for the classic style Macbook Pro form factor, though it's built for the Unibody form factor.

12. ThrawnTHX macrumors member

I have the mstand, and it does not make my 17' uMBP any warmer than without. Consider that it is also made of aluminum, which is fairly good at conducting heat (a bit less than silver or copper, but hey). I don't think I would be incorrect in saying that the mstand likely wicks away heat from the aluminum bottom casing and acts as an extended passive heatsink.

My only complaint about the mstand is that it gives slight bend when resting your palms on your laptop. It does look sexy though. Great for boosting it up next to a second display.

I say take advantage of the additional desktop real estate and get an mstand and use an external monitor at the same time.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The one great thing about the BookArc (besides how cheap it is compared to some of the other unique vertical stands) is that it's two pieces the actual holder and an insert. This means that even if the MacBook Pro were to change form factor - all you would need would be a new insert.