Twelve South Debuts 'Curve' Stand for Apple Notebooks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twelve South today announced the launch of the Curve, a new stand based on a simple, classic design.

Described as an "elegant" stand that's designed to complement the lines of an Apple notebook while elevating it to an ideal angle, Curve comes in a matte black aluminum that matches well with the Space Gray MacBook models.

Curve elevates the screen by 6.5 inches while keeping 70 percent of the base of the MacBook exposed through its open bottom, which allows for better cooling.

According to Twelve South, the Curve is based on the iCurve, the first stand ever designed by Twelve South co-founder Andrew Green back in 2003. The new design is also meant to pay tribute to Apple Park, Apple's new campus that houses a ring-shaped main building.

[​IMG]
    Curve weighs in at 1.43 pounds and is a desktop accessory that's designed to work with the latest MacBook and MacBook Pro models.

Curve can be purchased from the Twelve South website for $49.99. It's also available from some Best Buy retail locations.

Article Link: Twelve South Debuts 'Curve' Stand for Apple Notebooks

2. SteveW928, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017

SteveW928 macrumors 68000

SteveW928

Looks nice, though won't be quite as nice once cables are added.

I'm assuming MBPs cool better if open? (vs clam shell mode)

Edit: Oh, maybe it's MacBook only... well, question still applies generally, I guess.

Edit 2: I see a MacBook Pro in the photo, so appears it's for all of the MacBook line. They really should include the term 'MacBook Pro' somewhere on the page in the copy, or address that in the 'spec' section.

3. Appurushido macrumors 6502

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Twelve South makes very nice products that are durable and well constructed. There are cheaper options, but you will receive cheaper results in return.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Would've been nice if the stand incorporated some sort of mechanism to run cables through and attach them, to clean the look up.

Something like this; [​IMG]

6. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Meh. Rain Mstand has been out forever and looks much sturdier

[​IMG]

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

F...that, did Jony ive find a new job.

8. Chancha macrumors 6502a

I actually bought the originally acrylic iCurve stand in 2003 and am still using it. Over its lifetime I already went through iBook G3, MacBook black, unibody MBP, and then a retina 15", and it still stands perfectly upright while looking gorgeous. There is something beautiful about its design, which I think the later versions never manage to match.

[​IMG]

9. katanna macrumors 6502

katanna

I have owned multiple iCurves over my life (I left one behind when I moved so I had to get another one), so I like the idea, but $50 for a curved hunk of metal is pretty silly...

10. TwelveSouth, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2017

TwelveSouth macrumors newbie

TwelveSouth

Fun Fact: The original iCurve was designed by Andrew Green (our creative director and co-owner)! It was the very first product he ever designed in his career so this is an homage to the original with updates for the modern MacBook user.

11. coolfactor macrumors 601

That was my first thought. It's ridiculous how these new-age products are being priced sometimes.

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I've had one since around 2007 and still use mine as well. Looks just as nice as when I got it. Mine has been used with a PB 17" as well as various tablets, two MBAs, and a MBP.

13. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

I think it depends on the product. Some of their products are simple/clever, but almost all are overpriced from a purely materials/manufacturing POV.

Some of their products are designed well, but not executed as well. Specifically, I bought their HiRise stand for iMac, which seemed a great idea. When I got it I was very disappointed to realize it was NOT anodized aluminum that matched the iMacs, but was in fact silver paint over steel(?) which didn't match and proceeded to chip (as most painted metal accessories do) and looked like crap. For the price, it should have been color-matched anodized aluminum.

14. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I still own my iCurve, though I don't use it actively.

15. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

It's reasonably priced.
    If it was an official branded Apple product, we wouldn't think twice about dropping more than double on one of these.

Probably.

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Yeah, I don't get it either, why always those ..,99 cents prices.:p

17. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

Twelve South is expensive for what you get, but so is Apple. I've had a few Twelve South products and they've all been quite nice.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree. One of the reasons I stopped using rising stands like these was cable management. If all the cables fell from the back then it'd be neater, but out of the sides was YUCK.

The price isn't bad, but with the new Macbook Pro the stands makes the touch bar even more useless.

19. ZipZap macrumors 603

20. zantafio macrumors regular

You know what else is ridiculous besides a $49 price tag? A stand for headphones. It's completely useless and pointless.

21. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

Same here. Wonderful products. Was uneasy on the price when I bought it - it was a bit of a treat. Now, it's still going and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if this one broke.Great bit of kit.

22. chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

I dug mine out recently to use with my MBA!

23. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

I love TwelveSouth stuff, but i've genuinely never understood what one of these stands is for.

I don't really get the idea of putting a laptop higher up in front of another keyboard.

Then again i've got an iMac to sit at a desk at but I generally just sit on the sofa with my MacBook Pro for most of the day.

24. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

It is a bit humorous when an expensive or luxury item is priced using the silly psychological trick. To me, $50 is smaller.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    Staring down at your open laptop screen is bad for your neck. Should be eye level.

25. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

I've never had neck problems in 15 years of using laptops on the sofa so, this is completely useless to me.