Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today announced the launch of a revamped HiRise, its popular stand for the iPhone and the iPad. The HiRise 2 features an all new design with with a smaller overall footprint but a heavier overall body, so it's better able to hold up larger devices like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

hirise_2_white.jpg

Due to its small size, it's not recommended for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but it works with all other Lightning-based devices, including Apple's new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. It charges all kinds of Apple devices, like the Magic Mouse, the Apple Remote, and even the upcoming AirPods (through the included case).

hirise_2_black.jpg

Along with a new design, the HiRise 2 comes in two new colors, a matte black to match the new "Black" iPhone and a matte white shade.

The basic HiRise 2 is priced at $39.99 and is available in black or silver, and users must provide their own Lightning cables. The HiRise 2 Deluxe is available in black, silver, or white for $59.99 and ships with both an MFi-certified Lightning cable and a micro-USB cable so either iOS devices or devices that require a USB cable (including many iOS device battery cases) can be charged.

The HiRise 2 is available from the Twelve South website starting today.

Article Link: Twelve South Debuts New HiRise 2 for iPhone and iPad

auruspex

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
If they had put a headphone jack into the stand, this would have been an insta-buy for me. I love Twelve South's products, but I'd need a jack in order for the stand to work for my desk situation. Hoping another third-party comes out with a more substantial alternative to the official Apple Dock soon!

Reactions: UhFive and haruhiko

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
If they had put a headphone jack into the stand, this would have been an insta-buy for me. I love Twelve South's products, but I'd need a jack in order for the stand to work for my desk situation. Hoping another third-party comes out with a more substantial alternative to the official Apple Dock soon!
Solution: An iPhone 6S

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I guess I just can't picture how it would work, but how can one charge the Magic Mouse? Is the back support plate removable? Because isn't the lightning port of the MM inexplicably on the bottom?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Solution: An iPhone 6S
I think you misunderstand. A lot of people like docks that have headphone adapters built-in. Apple's dock is one such device. You leave it plugged in to the back and it's easy to just pop your device on and listen. Doesn't really have anything to do with the iPhone 7 as people have been doing this for many years.

--

As for this dock, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who thinks this design is stupid. I've never understood why someone would want to put their iPhone higher up on a pedestal where it is more prone to being knocked over. Visually, I think it looks kinda clunky and unbalanced when it has a device on top.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I guess I just can't picture how it would work, but how can one charge the Magic Mouse? Is the back support plate removable? Because isn't the lightning port of the MM inexplicably on the bottom?

The back support plate slides. Originally this was done for phones with varying degrees of thickness on the case. Now it just opens it up for things like the mouse.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816

Twelve South today announced the launch of a revamped HiRise, its popular stand for the iPhone and the iPad. The HiRise 2 features an all new design with with a smaller overall footprint but a heavier overall body, so it's better able to hold up larger devices like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

hirise_2_white.jpg

Due to its small size, it's not recommended for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but it works with all other Lightning-based devices, including Apple's new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. It charges all kinds of Apple devices, like the Magic Mouse, the Apple Remote, and even the upcoming AirPods (through the included case).

hirise_2_black.jpg

Along with a new design, the HiRise 2 comes in two new colors, a matte black to match the new "Black" iPhone and a matte white shade.

The basic HiRise 2 is priced at $39.99 and is available in black or silver, and users must provide their own Lightning cables. The HiRise 2 Deluxe is available in black, silver, or white for $59.99 and ships with both an MFi-certified Lightning cable and a micro-USB cable so either iOS devices or devices that require a USB cable (including many iOS device battery cases) can be charged.

The HiRise 2 is available from the Twelve South website starting today.

Article Link: Twelve South Debuts New HiRise 2 for iPhone and iPad

I purchased their current high-rise less than a year ago, and it lasted about seven months. Gingerly care next on my bed nightstand and it stopped working. No frayed cord or other obvious physical damage, it just died.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I was waiting for something like this. Are there any other charging docks, that support iPhones and the 9.7" iPads?

UhFive

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
Texas

I am all on board with this. I have been searching the past few days for a dock with a 3.5mm Audio out besides Apple's own (nervous about durability of that small Lightning port with a massive 7+ and a case).

TwelveSouth

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Charleston, SC

You are exactly right - the back support post is removable and you can charge your Magic Mouse. Attached is a photo of this working on the original HiRise but the process would be the same for the new HiRise 2.

Attachments

• 12S_HiRiseDeluxe_magicmouse_hires.jpg
    12S_HiRiseDeluxe_magicmouse_hires.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 3,793
Reactions: KylePowers

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You are exactly right - the back support post is removable and you can charge your Magic Mouse. Attached is a photo of this working on the original HiRise but the process would be the same for the new HiRise 2.

That's actually kind of nice, considering that we have so many Lightning devices nowadays.

I actually like the dock ... a lot and it's far nicer than the "thing" Apple produces because it looks SOLID.

This may be the one I purchase for the plethora of Lightning stuff, including a Mini and iPhone 7+ I have scattered across my desk.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
As for this dock, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who thinks this design is stupid. I've never understood why someone would want to put their iPhone higher up on a pedestal where it is more prone to being knocked over. Visually, I think it looks kinda clunky and unbalanced when it has a device on top.

Because it's both more comfortable and healthier for your back to look straight ahead at your screen than to bend your head to look down at it.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I purchased their current high-rise less than a year ago, and it lasted about seven months. Gingerly care next on my bed nightstand and it stopped working. No frayed cord or other obvious physical damage, it just died.

Called a bad cable bro, their iPhone cables are garbage but the stand is baller, that Apple dock that's 60.00 or whatever is garbage .

Reactions: JackANSI

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Because it's both more comfortable and healthier for your back to look straight ahead at your screen than to bend your head to look down at it.
Who sits and uses their phone while it's docked? Especially in portrait? I could see that possibly being useful while watching a video in landscape. Three inches of height doesn't make a big difference in viewing angles. I'm an average sized guy and my sight line is 20" above this very normal steel case desk I'm sitting at. Your logic is flawed unless you are extremely short or like sitting on the floor. It's not high enough to be useful, and not low enough to be very stable. It's an awkward design. Instead, I would recommend an articulating arm or one of the many mounts available that attach to the side of a monitor if you are having trouble with spinal alignment issues. And since it sounds like you never look down at your phone while carrying it around, perhaps one of these hats would be useful, or maybe Google Cardboard?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Who sits and uses their phone while it's docked? Especially in portrait?

My wife uses the iPhone while it's docked on our HiRise Deluxe all the time. She puts it next to her iMac and gives her a second screen of information. Couple that with the awesome 1Keyboard app for macOS and with a simple hotkey, her Magic Keyboard switches to using the iPhone.

Reactions: meagain

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014

Can you give any word on when the HiRise 2 will be available at your retail partners in Germany (Amazon, etc.)?

TwelveSouth

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
Charleston, SC
Can you give any word on when the HiRise 2 will be available at your retail partners in Germany (Amazon, etc.)?

We are finalizing all our partners now. We will go live in the US on Amazon tomorrow and our global partners should follow shortly thereafter (it just depends on their local distributors). I would check in next week with info@twelvesouth.com and they can give you a more accurate date.

Reactions: gim

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Who sits and uses their phone while it's docked? Especially in portrait? I could see that possibly being useful while watching a video in landscape.

I agree. It'd be much more useful in landscape. But I use my iPad all over the house - an arm clamped to a desk isn't much help.

And yes, more than 3 inches would also be ideal, but it's better than zero inches, and it holds it upright instead of flat on the table, and looks to be more steady than that silly magnetic stand.

I'm not going to buy one, but the idea isn't totally idiotic, IMO.

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.