iPad Twelve South Hoverbar

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Commy1, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

:rolleyes:Hey guys so I ordered a Twelve South Hoverbar off the Apple store, and thought I'd leave a little review.

First impression is "nice box". The packaging is simple, but pretty, something I would consider reusing as a gift box nice.
    Diving in, you see the 3 basic parts that make up this accessory. The clamp is all aluminum and quite heavy, the black arm is very sturdy it doesn't take a muscle man to bend it but you can feel that once it gets into a sweet spot it's not going anywhere. Finally the holster made of a light weight flexible plastic which you can tell they took the time to engineer, with holes of the Facetime mic, a ball&socket swivel and very thin (almost invisible on a black iPad) edges and clip to secure the iPad firmly.

[​IMG]

~A few things important to note~

Twelve South depicts the iPad clamped onto the stand of an iMac, note that it's always on the Left side or set landscape above the screen.
    The arm screws into the clamp as virtually ever screw does, "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" which means that if you have the clamp set on the iMac/TBD stands Right side, the screw will loosen under the weight of the iPad and it makes it almost impossible to keep it in the right place without some tinkering.
    Plan to set the Hoverbar on the Left side, Above or if you're stubborn like me, on the desk for the Right side.

While you tap and use the iPad it will shake quite a bit, but again that can be worked around if you have something to lean the arm against.

Comes with 4 small clips to help hide away the charging cable along the length of the arm.

The price kind of sucks, but the overall quality of it feels like it will last, so for that I condone the 80$ price tag.
    [​IMG]

2. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

[​IMG]

This is my current set up, I will be adding the mStand to the Left side with my Macbook on it. For maximum college work efficiency ;)

3. Onno macrumors member

Don't you have the problem that the hoverbar slowly goes down? It also wobbled alover the place.

I returned it after using it a few days, but I'm still looking for something similar as I would love to use my old iPad2 as "second/third screen" :)

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Good review. I like the look of a lot of the 12 South products and mostly hear good things. However I've never really understood why I would need my iPad next to my iMac screen. I guess it depends on your workflow.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought if you jailbroke your device you could rig it to work as a second screen. This may be my own confusion.

OP, like someone else asked, doesn't it sort of scoot down from the weight over time? It looks a lot like an iPhone holder I once had for the car. It took about 20 minutes before the iPhone wound up on the floor.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Well that would make sense then. I was thinking everything on my iPad, I can do on my iMac. I can't imagine playing games or watching TV on it when I could just have a window on my iMac doing the same thing.

Mind you I'm not really a jailbreak kind of guy. Goes against the handle!

7. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Use mine a lot and sometimes as a second monitor(no jail break needed).

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

So how does that work?

9. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

The Hover Bar works well especially on the headboard of
    the bed for watching movies while using the MBA in bed.

As far as second monitor, there are several apps that will
    do this for you.

10. Commy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Are you running the AirDisplay app?
    This is how I'm running mine if I choose to. I don't like the scaling the different resolutions forces but it's not impossible to deal with.

----------

I use it quite a bit for art, bringing up a reference picture and drawing with my tablet on the iMac, or having read material/iBooks open on the iPad while using it as reference for a report, or most commonly Netflix while I'm supposed to be productive. :cool:

11. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla